We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

My chickens feet look really bad

It looks like out chickens feet scales are lifting up and some even fall off. It might be because they keep pecking at their feet, but it still looks like their feet hurt. I don't know what's wrong and how to treat it. Luckily, it doesn't look like bumblefoot..

Does anyone know what it could possibly be?

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Could be scaly leg. Plaster the legs and feet with petroleum jelly....repeat over a week or 10 days ....scaly leg will resolve.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Hi Shani,

Yes - I agree with Sandie. I would smother the legs with petroleum jelly, or sudocream or anything similar. This will smother the mites and kill most of them. Repeat in 6 days time, because the egg cycle is approximately 7 days, so you will catch any freshly hatched mites, as well as finish off any stray adults. Personally I would then repeat after 6 days again just to make sure. So that's 3 applications in all.
    The thing to bear in mind is that you won't see a 'quick fix' , because leg scales don't get shed very often (about once a year like the feathers), so the scales will still look raised for a long time. If you have a small flock it's worth doing a preventative application once a month or so.