We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

chicken gone awol

rocotrocot Junior Member
edited July 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hello has anybody got any advice on how to find my chicken. She has left home and initially assumed the fox had got her. however, have seen her very early in the morning in the garden and then she vanished again. Have searched hedgerows, trees etc but no sign whatsoever. She has a sister here alone who continues to live normally, putting herself in their coop at night. Am at a loss as to where to look! Food doesn't seem to attract her and neither does calling her, although she always used to come when called!

Comments

• GareamGaream Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Could she be broody? Sometimes they hide with their eggs waiting for them to hatch. I am really not sure about how to find her except she may come back at the same time each day for a bit of food. Can you look out for her early mornings maybe?

Maybe someone else has a better idea. Good luck on finding your little hen.
    Gail
  • emmaleeemmalee Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    Hi There,

I have had exactly the same thing and after much searching I found her hidden in a raspberry bush sitting on 10 eggs so my guess is that your hen is brooding somewhere. You will need to look very hard to find her though as they hide extremley well. Try dark shaded bushes with lots of undergrowth.

Good Luck!
  • rocotrocot Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    thankyou for your replies. I did find her in dense undergrowth sitting on 15 eggs!! and only 2 feet from her house. needless to say the eggs have now gone and she is happily back at home :)