We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

baytril without prescription?

maryhenmaryhen Member
edited November 2009 in Producers and Vets
Hi I wondersed if anyone knew if you could purchase baytril without having a prescriptiion .I have ex battery chickens which I've had for over a year now but they seem prone to infections which a course of baytril usually sorts out.However its costing me an absolute fortune at the vets. Many thanks

Comments

• flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    maryhen wrote:
    Hi I wondersed if anyone knew if you could purchase baytril without having a prescriptiion .I have ex battery chickens which I've had for over a year now but they seem prone to infections which a course of baytril usually sorts out.However its costing me an absolute fortune at the vets. Many thanks

Breed up your chickens and sell a few to cover the cost of your vet bills. Also sell a few eggs, this also helps.
  • CathrynCathryn Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    I would start over with healthy chickens rather than treating them over and over. You do not want to sell eggs with baytril residue or spread the disease to other's birds by selling eggs, (some diseases could be transmitted on the eggs and or cartons). Because of poultry diseases that can be passed through the egg, I would not want to hatch from sick birds. I'd put them to sleep, clean and disinfect, and start over. This is only my opinion for what it is worth. Cathryn rainbowsilkies
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Baytril should only be available on prescription inthe UK.

Continual use of antibiotics is undesirable - just as it is for humans. If your birds are running on antibiotic, there is something clearly wrong in their lives.

So you have a judgment call to make - emotion vs cost! Why not start replacing the sick ex batts with new ex batts?
  • flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Baytril should only be available on prescription inthe UK.

Continual use of antibiotics is undesirable - just as it is for humans. If your birds are running on antibiotic, there is something clearly wrong in their lives.

So you have a judgment call to make - emotion vs cost! Why not start replacing the sick ex batts with new ex batts?
    I would strong agree with you on this one. No point just giving them antibiotics when you could start with fresh birds. If they are sick then it is time for their fate to be determined. I have had ex batts for nearly 15 years with a few added batches and not once given them antibiotics. Yes I lose a few to illness but there is no need to continue to use it. I have them out and about on the farm. They dont even have their door shut of a night as I have a dog theat keeps the foxes away from them. I have had up to 200 of them but have cut back as time has gone by. As they get older I just cull them. They are not young when they come out of the large farms and they have been worked really hard to produce 2 eggs per day literally It is a wonder that they do survive and come good on the small free range farms but they do and that is a bonus in their short lives
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    I agree with Cathryn and Flintstone.

I do have difficulty in culling my ex batts but my yardstick is that if I feel they are suffering [and I would suggest that continued dosing means they are suffering unecessary illness] then the time has come.
  • LuvMyChickensLuvMyChickens Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    Yes, I do know where you can get Baytril without a prescription. Contact Foy's Pigeon Supply.

They carry a good selection of meds.

After spending a fortune at vet's offices I have learned how to care for my chickens mostly by myself and Foy's has been great for meds.
  • LuvMyChickensLuvMyChickens Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    Ooops! Double post-please remove :)