We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken Names????

RobRob Junior Member
edited May 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
Out of my six new hen's (I'm new to this) Only 2 have names.
I have 2 White stars called Grace & Marylin, (as in, Kelly & Monroe)
I have two black rocks, temporarily called fatty & sicky
I have 2 Calder rangers, temporarily called big & little Ging'
Any name suggestions? I know its silly but I need help. haha

Comments

• SalzSalz Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Hey Rob,
    Its not silly, Ive got six girls and a cockerel and it took awhile to get to know them and then their names came to me.....I have Lulu the light sussex, Betty the bluebell, Houdini the blackrock (who keeps escaping), Siddy (after sid vicious as she pecks everyone) Blanche the speckledy, Missy the warren and Norman the cockerel.
    So enjoy your girls and I think their names are great.:D
  • edited June 2009
    22 of my 50+ have names. These are the ones that will not get eaten! Most earned their names, or my Grandchildren named them. Have hens named "Bob" & "Chester" Have a roo that started out as "Partygirl" now it is "Partybird" (Frizzled Polish) Have a Blue Polish named "Blue" go figure!.....
  • ISGISG Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I suggest you make names based on their characters if you want, or, if you have kids, get them to do it lol. Good luck. - My chickens have names too, called Einstein ( a pullet although we thought she was a cockeral) Baby - the 'baby' of the groug (silkie) and Alberta - silkie x pekin after 'Albert Einstein'.
  • Whitesheet DeniseWhitesheet Denise Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    My goodness me Salz, I too have a light sussex called Lulu - more of Lulu's escapades in another thread if I can find the right place for it!

Great minds think alike hey?:D
  • RobRob Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    My 3rd egg today... not counting the two that didn't form properly... Fatty is doing her job nicely. I don't know what the others are playing at. They still haven't got proper names. poor girls. I still love them all though.
    I can't wait for some white eggs in the nest boxes...
  • Gable_FarmGable_Farm Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    My hens are called: Dusty, Ginger, Lotty, Stubs, Linx and Martha.

I hope you can use some of these names!
  • Happy HennieHappy Hennie Member
    edited July 2009
    How are you doing Rob with naming your hens?
    My daughters can't wait for our next ex-batt additions - they want one
    to be called Buffy The Worm Slayer :D :D
    Currently we have Pheobe, Lottie, Connie, Ginger and Babs.
  • chicks12345chicks12345 Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    Yesterday all of my beloved chickens were attacked by a fox.
    I wondered whether you could name your's the same names in memory of mine. There names were Rita, Lavender, Teeka and Corma.
    Thanks, and i hope i helped :)
  • RobRob Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    ahh, thanks for your replies everyone. there's only one without a name now. Out of the others, We have Marilyn & Grace, One that had a nick name Fatty, that has now become her real name, Sicky is now called Twinkle & Big Ging' is now called Jinty. One little Ging', the runt of the girls, a colombian black tail is still nameless.
    I can't believe they're only giving me one egg a day still, they're all looking grown up & ready to lay, nice big red floppy combs & wattles. I think I'm going to give them all a stern talking to! I'm not past making some chicken pies you know!! hehe

By the way, does anyone know where to get some good quality cornish game chicks or eggs from in the west midlands area??? (not bantams)
  • dizzerdizzer Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    hey everyone im brand new to this forum and thought i wood start here
    my chickens names are bare in mind they are all hens
    pedro, carlton,ginny,gunstable (who is always broody) rodney,ngary,nora and hoover
    and ive just hatched 2 chicks which are called cilla and socretes
  • RobRob Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    I sooo want a cock called socrates now!!!
  • Happy HennieHappy Hennie Member
    edited July 2009
    So sorry chicks12345 about your chickens - understand how you feel, we lost 8 to a dog almost 2 years ago. We're adding to our backyard flock next month with some ex-batts - one will be called Lavender. :)

Yesterday all of my beloved chickens were attacked by a fox.
    I wondered whether you could name your's the same names in memory of mine. There names were Rita, Lavender, Teeka and Corma.
    Thanks, and i hope i helped :)
  • missbaritonemissbaritone Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    well I've just got my first two chickens today. Two goldenlines and I've named them Tikka and Masala
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    We have got a hen called Dora after the cartoon Dora the Explorer because she loves exploring. We also have a hen called Iffy (sister of squiffy who had a floppy comb) because it was a bit Iffy if she would make it at the beginning also she can never quite make up her mind whether or not to do something. We also had another hen called Atilla (Atilla the hen ha ha) because she was so aggressive when we first got her and had no feathers after all her battles. We had another hen called 'strange' because she used to look at us with her head on one side, then the other and then she appeared to make a noise that sounded just like "strange". Personally I like the old fashioned English names for hens like Maud and Betsy! Good luck with your choice but I'm sure they will name themselves in the end like mine! :)
  • EggMcManEggMcMan Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    I have 4 rhode island reds 1 named dingleberry due to a tail feather hanging but connected, another is red becase shes the red one in the group, ashy has a ash tint to her,and regular is a regular looking hen... i guess i give weird names... i got a cat named kittybicmew..:confused:
  • Farmer.abiFarmer.abi Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    Hi rob :) im 14 and named all three of our families chickens ;
    Chicken Korma is a light sussex
    Chicken Bhoona is a rhode rock
    Chicken Dhansak is a marran

Hope this helps we thought it was fun naming them after chicken dishes for example nugget or bargin bucket hehe we had great fun naming ours and hope you do to :) x
  • CloudCloud Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    i named all my chickens too.

2 black stars (brownie and blackie)
    2 red stars ( big red and little red)
    1 white leghorn (sally)
    1 americauna (ro-ro)
    2 lakenvelvers (raptor and compy)
    1 brown leghorn (chickiepoo) might change
    and
    1 silver leghorn/silver laced wynndote -sorry dont know how to spell- rooster (ruse)
  • kowshikkowshik Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    I named my chicken as brownia cownia sania mania rattle etc and this forum is really great its really helped me on developing my poultry farm and really nice to be here and all member of this forum are helpful and i have learned many new techniques from this forum !
    iron shelf brackets
  • hampshirehenshampshirehens Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    I have three speckled Sussex: Prudence, Tess & Myrtle. Also, 2 silver Sussex: Constance & Boadicea. And a Rhode Island Red-Cross called Martha, and a Black Rock called Mabel. Oh and a Light Sussex cockerel called...Gary!