We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

agressive hens urgent advise. newby

muffintopmuffintop Junior Member
edited June 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hya I wonder if someone can offer advise to a newby hen keeper
We have 3 rhoad island reds good layers and get a lot of space to wonder around free range. We also have a cocker spaniel who is quite friendly and does not bother the hens and keeps a distance most of the time, and two cats who do the same.
Recently the hens have attacked the dog when she came near their hutch which is situated on the veg patch, I couldnt believe it when all three of them flew on top of her back with wings flapping and attacked her. The dog was terrified and did not bite them amazingly enough.
Since then everytime they see her in the garden they fly over to her and try to attack her.. I really need to sort this out pse can anyone give me advise apart from cull them which is a little rash first off, its not easy to segregate them as they fly..

Comments

• muffintopmuffintop Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    hya bumping my question as this is a problem the dog is terrified to go out.
  • SalzSalz Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    I have typed "agression" into the "search forums" at the top of this page and it came up with a few ideas, although its mainly for cockerels. Why don't you have a read through a few of those and maybe that would give you some help...sorry but its all I have to offer at the moment..:(...I'll keep thinking.
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Have you tried enclosing either the hens or the dog with chicken netting, so that they can see each other but cannot get to each other. After a while and it could take a week, maybe less, maybe more, they should get used to the fact that the dog is not going to harm tham.
  • GareamGaream Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    it sounds like they think that the dog is the lowest in the pecking order.
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Until they are eaten that is!