We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thread moderation?

SteelSteel Member
edited June 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Is there any particular reason why certain threads are moderated?

Several times I've tried to post mesaages on certain threads, only to get the moderated message up and the post doesn't appear, even days later. Other threads I post and the message is there immediately.

What gives?

Comments

• mandiemandie Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    sorry steel havnt experienced this problem myself so not of much help really.
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Nor me............yet.

On a different tack - I like your "sticky" idea!
  • SteelSteel Member
    edited May 2009
    Just tried to start a new thread on the Heath and Welfare thread and sure enough, the message that pops up is all posts and threads are being moderated on that board, and the thread has not appeared. :mad:

I always copy my messages before I submit a post just in case, but right now I have far too many 'lost' messages pasted into a word document so I'm going to refrain from posting because it is immensely annoying and making me angry.

I really hope this is not just me.

Could the moderator of the site please put their hands up :)
    edited May 2009
    Hi Steel

If you click on the "About" link at the top of the home page you will get contact details at the bottom - Jin Muirhead is the MD apparently - any way you can send them an e-mail from there.

It will be interesting to find out how the site is moderated. It appears to be quite a big business as theri are a number sites with advertising links oneach of them - good revenue!!
  • SteelSteel Member
    edited May 2009
    Thank you! Will email to see what can be done.

Turns out I'm not the only one. I'd pm'ed one member yesterday about something and it turns out she's also had problems with moderated comments, and posts and threads disappearing as a result.

To date, none of my moderated posts or threads have appeared.
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    I also have trouble and Jim is good to write to He also takes the rubbish emailing off the sites from time to time. I often write to him and he will reply eventually. the cattle, the dairy, the pig, the poultry. all of which get spam on a regular basis.
  • SteelSteel Member
    edited June 2009
    Hi blonde

Interestingly, I've just realised I have no problem posting from my MAC laptop. None. It only seems to happen on the PC.
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    I am not that lucky to have a lap top so I can only use my PC If I have trouble I log off and go outside. I have plenty of work to keep me occupied.
    edited June 2009
    If you have Windows on your computer, it may be the version that you are using. I too e-mailed the administrator yesterday so I guess it is a bit early to expect a reply yet.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Administrator
    edited June 2009
    Dear All,

I note all your comments regards moderation of this forum. Here are a few pointers:

98% of the spam is normally generated automatically by spam bots. 95% of this is filtered. New registration measures have reduced this dramatically.

Moderation is totally automatic. We have too many sites/forums/posts to do it manually.

There are two levels of moderation. One uses a list of words that get used by spammers. All the usual expletives plus loads of drug names, celebrity names, foreign words, popular consumer brand names etc. etc. If you include a banned word in your post it will get moderated. We check the moderated posts regularly and accept those that are genuine (a very small precentage). This system catches literally 100's of posts.

Triple X (3 x's in a row) is a moderated word so don't sign your posts with 3 kisses!

The second level of moderation bans IP addresses. This blocks people on certain IP's from logging into the forum. If this is the case you will be told.

I hope this helps explain the situation. If you have any other questions post them here and I will try to respond.

Thanks

Jim Muirhead
  • mandiemandie Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    hi jim would it help if some of us offered to be moderators???