We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

best candler

edited May 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
can anyone recommend a good candler that I could buy ?

Comments

• mandiemandie Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    the best type to get is the torch style loads on ebay or from any chook stuff supplier will cost about £20 but it saves you incubating any wrong/empty eggs.:)
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    You make up a wooden box and put a small hole in it that an egg will sit in comfortable. take a standard lamp apart remove the shade or a bed side lamp apart and remove the shade and stand the globe unit under the hole in the box. The globe size might only have to be say a 75 watt. but you may have to fiddle to get the right globe. but it will be stronger than a torch. The globe should not touch the bottom of the eggs as it does get quite warm. This all runs on power and can be used and used and used with out ever charging or paying for batteries. The eggs sits on top and you view the egg from above.
    edited May 2009
    not tried one of those but should do the job,if you get one let us know how it works please as that is cheap:D
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    get a handy man to make you one up from some scrap wood and take a beside lamp pull that to pieces and use this. You can probaly get one second hand from the op-shop.
    edited May 2009
    sorry blonde not on about your suggestion on about the one on ebay,no need to go to all that bother of making one when they can be bought for a couple of quid,we dont tend to have handy men in the uk:eek:
  • edited May 2009
    actually in the end i decided against the first one because to be honest its basically just a powerful torch, and as this is the first time candling eggs i wanted to make sure i did it right, so in the i went for the cheapest proper candler i could find ! :) and i have to agree that handy men are almost extinct in the UK !
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    What a great idea - thank you.