We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Drawing blood!

MattyMatty Junior Member
edited May 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Could anyone help us with a problem that we are having with our hens. We recently rescued 3 ex battery hens, we got them settled in their egglu and everthing has been rosey for 4 months. One of the hens started to turn nasty and has reapeatedly pecked the other 2 hens' rear ends in the area of the vent. This has been going on for the past week and has caused alarm with the family as the blood was clearly flowing. I know that seperation may have been the solution but how do I do that? Where do I keep the offending hen? So I took drastic action for the welfare of the other two and I reluctantly dispatched her :( Now I dont want this problem to re occur so I am curious as to what was the possible cause of this behaviour....any ideas anyone please :confused:

Comments

• blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Usually in animals this can be due to a lack of salt in their diet. Give a little more in their diet and the problem may go away.
  • MattyMatty Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    blonde wrote:
    Usually in animals this can be due to a lack of salt in their diet. Give a little more in their diet and the problem may go away.

Thanks for that tip, a small pinch of sea salt is now going to be added to their feed every day :)
  • SteelSteel Member
    edited May 2009
    I know this has been resolved now, but thought I'd add a comment for anyone else coming along and reading this.

Once you've cleaned the wound you might want to spray some gentian violet on the area. It will dye it bright purple, but mask the red so the other chickens can't take opportunistic pecks. Chickens will eat meat and sometimes home in on a fellow chickens wound as a tasty meal.