We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

baby chicks

vickyvicky Junior Member
edited October 2006 in Poultry Health and Welfare
With the meds for coccidiosis am i to put meds and antibiotics together, or do one then the other. Then give vitamins?:confused:

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    Do your chicks have cocci? If so, then yes, put them on a cocci medication. Do not give vitamins when putting them on an amprol medication (including if you have them on medicated starter) as the amprol is designed to kill the cocci protozoan by starving them of vitamins. If you supplement the chicks with vitamins, it will counter act the drug. To be safe, leave them off vitamins until you've finished medicating. Only treat them with a cocci medication if they are actively showing blood in their droppings or they have noticeable diarrhea. If your chicks have a respiratory infection at the same time, then yes, you can mix some antibiotics with cocci meds but I wouldn't put them on antibiotics unless they need them.

Hope this helps,

Laura
  • SandySandy Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    Here is a link to the information I have on Coccidosis.. worth the read

Click here to see Information on Coccidosis