We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sick Turkey - Please Help

TraciTraci Junior Member
edited October 2006 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hello!

I'm looking for some help with an apparently sick turkey. I have a small flock of 10 turkeys and all of a sudden one of them has a severely swollen head and neck. He shows no other signs of illness. We decided to put the turkey down to be humane and to (hopefully) save our other turkeys from possible infection, but since we don't know what is causing the problem we have no idea if we can do anything to help prevent the others from getting sick. I tried to attach photos to this post, but they were too big. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in CA,
Traci

Comments

• SandySandy Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    It may have been what is known as Swollen Head Syndrome..
    click here to read information on SHS

If these were my birds I would get in some Tylan 200 injection ... and have it on hand in the event that this ever happened again.. its a broad spectrum antibotic and works really quickly and does a good job.. and minimal side effects
  • TraciTraci Junior Member
    edited October 2006
    Thank you so much for your reply, Sandy....I'll read up on that now. Would you suggest treating the whole flock now, or would you wait to see if any additional turkeys show symptoms?

:) Traci
  • SandySandy Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    Hi Traci

Only treat the ones that are sick

Here is some information on SHS

Click Here for Information on Swollen Head Syndrome

I am also putting some information on Mycoplasma infections... have a read your birds maybe suffering from this and not SHS... the Tylan will certainly help

Many birds that are suffering from Respiratory infection have swelling of the head

In the thread there is information on medications and how to administer them.. hope it is of help to you

Click Here for Information On Respiratory Disease
  • TraciTraci Junior Member
    edited October 2006
    THANKS SO MUCH! I'll read up on these and let you know what happens.

:D Traci