We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

My Hens are eating paper!

Gable_FarmGable_Farm Junior Member
edited July 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Help! I am puzzled :confused: because my hens are all well fed, with a constant supply of food and water, and they still love to eat the shredded paper from their nest box and their bedding. Is this normal? :confused: Could somebody please explain this to me?:(

Comments

• rainbowfishrainbowfish Member
    edited March 2009
    Ive only had hens since nov but my girls started to rip and shred the paper because they were nesting. u didnt say if urs are laying or not so could this apply to them? not sure ir mine were eating the paper but they definitely make a mess in there!
  • ChickenLoverChickenLover Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Mine are well fed and will eat paper or bits of polystyrene if given the chance.

My advice is to change your nest bedding to straw or hay or if not wood shavings.

I get my wood shavings from a local carpenter who is more than happy for me to take them away!
  • Gable_FarmGable_Farm Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    Ive only had hens since nov but my girls started to rip and shred the paper because they were nesting. u didnt say if urs are laying or not so could this apply to them? not sure ir mine were eating the paper but they definitely make a mess in there!

Well, they are laying five eggs a day, but there are six of them.
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    I would take the paper away also, I would also worry that the ink that is on them is going down their throats and I would believe that is may not be good for them. Straw. lupins, wood shavings or something a little more natural might be the way to go.
  • edited May 2009
    Mine were eating paper, too. I got rid of the paper! Did not think it good for them!
  • GareamGaream Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    I have barley straw in the laying boxes and I see them munching on that at times too.
  • phoenixlipophoenixlipo Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    Hi,

The entire lush and green backyard is on an upslope and looks out across the Castro district and a San Francisco panorama to Bernal Heights, a semi-suburban neighborhood in the city’s geographic center. As I stand in the yard, two hawks circle overhead. The lawn and the neat, framed garden beds are smattered with chicken poop.

Phoenix Lipo
  • gowriikavgowriikav Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    hey its funny,
    this is the first time that i heard that hen are eating papers