We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hello.....

chookyeggchookyegg Junior Member
edited March 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi my name is Hazel, I have 3 young hens that I bought home 1 week ago. 1 is a light sussex, 1 is a black rock & the other 1 is a golden star.

I am new to keeping chickens so I may need some help/advice sometime in the future :)

Cheers

Comments

• rosieannrosieann Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Hello Hazel - I hope everything goes well with your new chickens. I have 4 which I got last September. Initially I had a few problems - I let them free range and I think they were eating harmful plants so that's something to be aware of. I now have them inside a 25 metre electric poultry fence and although it's not so much fun for them, at least they are safe. They started laying at the beginning of November and have each laid almost every day throughout the winter - it's still great fun finding the eggs. - Best wishes, let us know when you get your first egg!
  • chookyeggchookyegg Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    rosieann wrote:
    Hello Hazel - I hope everything goes well with your new chickens. I have 4 which I got last September. Initially I had a few problems - I let them free range and I think they were eating harmful plants so that's something to be aware of. I now have them inside a 25 metre electric poultry fence and although it's not so much fun for them, at least they are safe. They started laying at the beginning of November and have each laid almost every day throughout the winter - it's still great fun finding the eggs. - Best wishes, let us know when you get your first egg!

Hi Rosieann, thank you for your welcome. I have 1 of my girls who looks alittle under the weather at the moment so I am keeping my eye on her. Mine have part of my garden to wander around, so maybe with the stress of moving from farm to here & the possibility of eating something they shouldn't could be why she's a bit low. As for eggs, I am watching them closely but as they are only 17 weeks old I think it will be a few more weeks before I see anything from them. But will let you know when the first one arrives!:D
  • Tom G. TurkeyTom G. Turkey Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Hello Hazel. I'm fairly new to this site as well. Congrat's on getting into the poultry world. I raise turkeys myself. Hope you have a great expierence with your chickens.
  • PoultryPottsPoultryPotts Member
    edited March 2009
    Chickens are a breeze to take care of . Have fun whith your chickens.:)
  • chookyeggchookyegg Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for the warm welcome, I am already enjoying my new hens they are very amusing