We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Tylan powder for Chickens

kingspooferkingspoofer Junior Member
edited September 2011 in Producers and Vets
I have got some tylan powder for my laying hens as they are finding it hard to breath (rattling) and have sore eyes the have some micro plasma disease.Does anyone know is there a withdrawal period for the eggs and does the disease spread easy?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I don't remember the withdrawal period - I don't think there was one when I last had to use this - however yes if it is a form of Myco it can spread easily among your flock. Managing it is your best option - avoid stress and personally I found crushed garlic and ACV in their water helps in the longer term to keep them healthy as well as helping them breathe (the ACV cuts through mucus nicely).

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/mycoplasma-gallisepticum.html

Hope this helps a little - Good luck and do say how you get on.
  • ChickFlixChickFlix Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Take a look at this thread as I asked the same question this week!
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8400
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I have today had the vet to my flock of meat birds [100] who have contracted Mycoplasma. He discussed Baytril [too expensive] and we settled on Tylan 200. The withdrawal for meat birds is 1 day and there is no withdrawal for eggs. The product is cost effective even at the vet's price
    [£30 for 100 grams - it can be found at nearly half this price on the internet if you get a prescription from your vet].

It can be used as a cure - the dosage is half a gram per 1 litre of water for 3-5days. It is however best used as a preventative. Here the guidance for my meat birds which I buy in as 1 day olds [again at half a gram per litre] is to dose between 0-3 days old for 3-5 days and, again at 4 weeks old.

Hope this helps!
    edited March 2009
    I have today had the vet to my flock of meat birds [100] who have contracted Mycoplasma. He discussed Baytril [too expensive] and we settled on Tylan 200. He consulted his encyclopaedia of drugs to ascertain that - the withdrawal for meat birds is 1 day and there is no withdrawal for eggs. The product is cost effective even at the vet's price
    [£30 for 100 grams - it can be found at nearly half this price on the internet if you get a prescription from your vet].

It can be used as a cure - the dosage is half a gram per 1 litre of water for 3-5days. It is however best used as a preventative. Here the guidance for my meat birds which I buy in as 1 day olds [again at half a gram per litre] is to dose between 0-3 days old for 3-5 days and, again at 4 weeks old.

Hope this helps!

Having just read the label n the Tylan bottle - it is in verey small print - "Tylan soluble must not be used in layers producing eggs for human consumption".

I shall post again having spoken to my vet on Monday.
    edited March 2009
    Some clarification from my vet this morning:-

Egg layers. Whilst on treatment, do not use for human consumption. As soon as treatment is stopped you can use the eggs again for human consumption as there is a 0 [zero] days withdrawal.

Meat birds. There is a 1 day withdrawal period after you have stopped treatment.

My meat birds have started to improve after the first day's treatment.
  • 6chickens6chickens Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Hi i dont know if this is seriously cheeky but brought up with if you dont ask you dont get

Could i buy a small amount from you? The vet wanted to perscribe me Tylan for my single hen but it was enough for 100 birds.

I would send the cash for postage or paypal
    edited May 2009
    6chickens wrote:
    Hi i dont know if this is seriously cheeky but brought up with if you dont ask you dont get

Could i buy a small amount from you? The vet wanted to perscribe me Tylan for my single hen but it was enough for 100 birds.

I would send the cash for postage or paypal

Hi
    Sorry I missed this post so have not replied.
    I do not think it would be a good idea - this is a prescription drug i.e. a vet needs to prescribe it and I am sure that it is then against the law to sell on.

I hope you got your problem solved?
  • leomartin6leomartin6 Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    Hello! I have been able to find a lot of help on poultry issues. Keep up the good work.
  • erhein35erhein35 Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi guys! This information really help my poultry issues. Thank you to all of you!
  • franzhararefranzharare Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    For use in turkeys to maintain weight gain and feed efficiency in the presence of infectious sinusitis caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum.When chronic respiratory disease threatens birds and slows gain,strategic medication with Tylan Soluble can help protect flock health and profitability.Tylan Soluble is highly active against Mycoplasma.It is approved for use in swine for the control and treatment of swine dysentery caused by pathogens sensitive to tylosin.
  • hiddenhavenfarmshiddenhavenfarms Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    What is ACV> I have a sick turkey with respiratory problem.
  • hiddenhavenfarmshiddenhavenfarms Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    What is ACV> I have a sick turkey with respiratory problem.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    acv is apple cider vinegar
    added to their water it is a good conditioner and also breaks up mucous
    garlic in the food or water does the same
    if your bird is showing symptoms of a respiratory infection then she will need antibiotics - tylan or baytril
    colloidal silver will also work but takes longer and may not be strong enough .
    kath
  • edited November 2010
    There is no withdrawal period for the Tylan powder or so it says on the bottle but if you inject them I was told by the vet its best to wait a month for it to clear their system.
  • AnnschooksAnnschooks Member
    edited December 2010
    If you do have Myco in your flock, whilst you can clear it up in the individual birds, they will always be a carrier, infecting any new birds they come into contact with and having occasional breakouts at times of stress.

However it is more likely that your birds have contracted I.B [Infectious Bronchitis] which will rip through your flock unless you isolate any birds showing symptoms.

Baytril 10% is first line choice, failing that Tylan, depends on how poorly the bird is. In poultry when they get poorly they generally stop eating & drinking, so making oral antibiotics difficult to get down and the bird can die of dehydration before the antibiotics get a chance to work.

When I get poorly birds, I syringe into their beaks Baytril followed by 20mls of water x 2 daily. The bird will absorb the fluid through its crop and will provide vital fluids until it starts to feel better and take fluids orally.

I would suggest anyone with birds showing respiratory symptoms to get swabs taken for analysis which will show wether its Myco or I.B or both.

It is also possible to vaccinate adult birds against I.B. There is also a Myco vaccine out there too.
  • ross88onlineross88online Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    undautri wrote:
    acv is apple cider vinegar
    added to their water it is a good conditioner and also breaks up mucous
    garlic in the food or water does the same
    if your bird is showing symptoms of a respiratory infection then she will need antibiotics - tylan or baytril
    colloidal silver will also work but takes longer and may not be strong enough .
    kath
    That's nice.Thank you.

Brooks Adrenaline 11 Review
  • KINAISAACKINAISAAC Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    I don't remember the withdrawal period - I don't think there was one when I last had to use this - however yes if it is a form of Myco it can spread easily among your flock. Managing it is your best option - avoid stress and personally I found crushed garlic and ACV in their water helps in the longer term to keep them healthy as well as helping them breathe (the ACV cuts through mucus nicely).

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/mycoplasma-gallisepticum.html

Hope this helps a little - Good luck and do say how you get on.

Can you please tell me how much Garlic and ACV to a Liter of water do you use