We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

NEW and HELP!

bibblebibble Junior Member
edited April 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi All

I have taken my first lot of egg laying chickens and would like some help and advise!

They arrived on Thursday and have not yet ventured out into their run and I am wondering if I should push them into it or not! One problem may be that their coup is v large 6 x 10ft for 6 chickens so they may feel happy in there. Also it is v cold and windy at the moment so the run may be too coldl for them. Also shall I put their food in the run or the coup - obviously it is in the coup right now as I was worried they would not get any food. By the way the coup has windows - would it be better to black those out to encourage them into the run?

Any help really welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Tania BTania B Member
    edited January 2009
    Hi Bibble, you would be better posting this question to the Health & Welfare section then you will get more chance of a reply.
  • silkytsilkyt Member
    edited January 2009
    Hi
    im no expert but i would black the windows out just because in the summer it will be lighter in the mornings so they would be up earlier and also would encourage them to seek the light during the day i w would also put their food out side so they have to search for it also try putting them outside when you put the food out so they know where it is
    see how you get on for a few days and see if it makes any difference
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I would not bother about blacking the windows unless you want them to get out of bed later. The cockeral will crow before the sun comes up anyway and wake the girls. He will have them off their perch and down pecking away long before you are out of bed my friend.

As for the feed I would put it outside and get them to venture out. They will go because they are curious birds and they like to wander, peck and scratch the ground as they go.