We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Crazy Chicken

JonPJonP Junior Member
edited October 2006 in Poultry Health and Welfare
We have 3 Peking Bantams who all went Broody at the same time and we got some fertilised eggs. Net result is we have 4 4 week old chicks. They come in at night as it is a bit too cold at the moment. But when I go out to bring them in, one remains outside with one or 2 or 3 or all 4 chicks under her. The others have gone inside their hen house. She sits in ths dark, the cold, the pouring rain and has slugs crawling all over her. Can't be right or can it. Apart from bringing her in and throwing the slugs into next doors garden, what should I do?? Any suggestions please. I know chickens have small brains but....

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    She may have to be kept inside for a few days to understand that she has a place to go to at night with her chicks. Instinct to protect her chicks (be it outside or inside) is stronger than "brains" and she may feel that she is safer outside than in, for whatever reason. So, just don't let her out for 3 or 4 days and hopefully she returns to the barn at night and doesn't stay outside when you let her out again. Many more nights of pouring rain and dark and you'll lose your hen and her chicks... that'd be a real shame.

Laura
  • JonPJonP Junior Member
    edited October 2006
    Thanks, they were all in last night!
  • crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    Good to hear! Good luck with the chicks!

Laura