We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Coyote Mauled Goose

TCKIBETCKIBE Junior Member
edited October 2006 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi I Am New To This Forum. Found A Canadian Goose That Had Been Mauled By What I Imagine Was A Coyote Or Dog. The Skin On The Back Of Its Neck Is Missing Approx 3 Inches By 1/2 Inch. Also Has Some Tears On Front Of Neck Breast Area. I Cant Pull The Neck Skin Together. Have Been Putting Triple Antibiotic On The Neck To Keep The Muscle From Drying Out.maggots Are Around All The Wounds, Seem To Be Keeping Them Clean. I Put Tetracycline In Its Water And Provided With High Protein Pellets. Am I Missing Anything ?

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    Hi,

Sounds like you are doing a fine job. Don't worry about pulling the skin back over the wound as you often seal infection in that way, especially if there's maggots in or around the wound. See if you can get a spray called KRS - you can still get it in Canada, but I don't know about anywhere else- it is a maggot killing spray. If you can't 'get KRS, then you'll have to flush the wound with a strong spray of warm water or warmed saline. Best to use warm water so you can use a fair bit of it- flush with a sterile syringe to get some pressure in there to flush those maggots out. Maggots can help clean out a wound, but they can also cause undo irritation and slow healing - medical maggots are sterile and don't carry bacteria, but these maggots are not sterile and will bring bacteria with them. Best to get them out of there Once you're sure all the maggots are out, pack the wound with an ointment such as furacin, polysporin or icthammol. An alternative to the mentioned ointments is honey- unpasturized, if possible (and no bread crumbs in it!) - pack the wound with honey- honey has excellent anti-bacterial properties and helps produce granulation (healing) tissue. The tetracycline is a good all-round antibiotic and will help guard against infection. Keep the goose quiet - disturb it as little as possible. Any added stress (from even SEEING a human) will impede healing. Any "duck/goose" grower or finisher ration will do just fine- give it a bucket of water (with the tetracycline) to dabble in.

Sounds like you're doing everything right- hopefully, if the goose heals up in a week or two, you can release it. If it is not ready to go, you may have to keep it around until spring...

Laura
  • TCKIBETCKIBE Junior Member
    edited October 2006
    Hi Laura Thanks For The Pos Feedback. I Took The Goose To My Vet, They Cleaned The Maggots Off, Gave It Some Antibiotics,something To Kill The Lice, And Put A Drain In Its Neck. They Wanted To Destroy It But I Told Them It Seemed To Be Doing Ok On Its Own And I Would Rather Let Nature Take Its Course. It Was Having Trouble Drinking Water After They Fussed With It, Almost Drowned I Had To Invert It And Get The Water Out Of Its Lungs. Seems To Be Drinking Ok Now
  • crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2006
    Wow - good thing you were there to intervene and the poor thing didn't drown after all you'd done for it. Good for you for saving this goose - somewhere, it's family and/or mate is waiting for it and hopefully it can reunite with it's group if and when you can release it. Birds heal so quickly- it should be well on its way to recovery soon.

I have volunteered at a wildlife rehab for the past 8 years and I'm always amazed at the ability of so many of these animals to come back from horrible injuries- all they need is time, care and the right cir***stances...

Good luck,

Laura