We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

egg flavor and diet

sergio velezsergio velez Junior Member
edited July 2009 in Producers and Vets
We have been having problems with egg off flavor.

We have been using acidulated soy soapstock in the layers diet.

I would like to know if any of the particpants has experience with this ingredient and if it has caused them egg off flavor problems.

Comments

• flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    We have been having problems with egg off flavor.

We have been using acidulated soy soapstock in the layers diet.

I would like to know if any of the particpants has experience with this ingredient and if it has caused them egg off flavor problems.
    why not feed them a corn or wheat diet and add their minerals and meat meal as well Then you will have normal tasting eggs. I guess soy soapstock must make them a little soapy May be they lather as well:confused:
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    A link you might want to follow - http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/84/1/148.pdf

If you are using this product as an additive to feed, you are in a league way above the competance of most of us on this site.

This product, is, in small quantities, used as a 2% additive to chicken feed, it is used in the building industry, it is used to cut odours from manure pits on pig farms etc, and, as a pesticide.

I for one would not feel comfortable using such a product.
  • daisychuckdaisychuck Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    I agree with field to fork!! I would not feed anything to my hens that I wouldn't eat myself (layers pellets are made up of things like corn and wheat!!). Although I'm not sure I'd eat some of the things they find for themselves :D . Soapthingy stuff does not sound tasty so I'm sure it won't be tasty. Feed them nice things instead.