We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

unwanted poultry rehomed

Comments

• toulacrosstoulacross Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    hi i also have a black silkie bantam cockerel, he is friendly as he was hand reared, but he needs ladies of his own as the resident boys aren't happy. Can anyone help?
  • Hound dogHound dog Junior Member
    edited February 2010
    I have a beautiful and very friendly 8 month old cochin cockerel. Urgently needs rehoming due to close neighbours. I live in west midlands, is there any chance you could take him.
  • beegalbeegal Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Hound dog wrote:
    I have a beautiful and very friendly 8 month old cochin cockerel. Urgently needs rehoming due to close neighbours. I live in west midlands, is there any chance you could take him.
    have sent an email to you we will have him
  • UbermanskyUbermansky Junior Member
    edited February 2010
    beegal wrote:
    we offer homes to unwanted or homeless chickens cockerels ducks geese on our 10 acre farm whilst we rehome many of them. pure bred stock unwanted by previous owners often found new homes with enthusiasts and keepers. so far over 300 birds living new lives throughout the uk. anything considered happy to discuss any proposal we are in the midlands between coventry and leicester

Hi Beegal, I have 5 Pekin Bantam Cockerels (some more pure bred than othersw) looking for new homes. They were hatched in the summer and we considered keeping all of them but they've started fighting and I'm worried they'll do each other some serious damage. Can you help? I'm in Northampton. Thanks in advance.
    edited February 2010
    quick update
    1 mixed cockeral arrived thursday last week gone tuesday
    4 cpq gone in 24 hours
    1 buff orp giant 10lb gone to breeder
    5 pekin cocks gone to breeder
    2 warren hens gone to collector
    2 aylesbury ducks gone to smallholding
    pair of aylesburys gone to collector
    1 lavender muscovy drake (colin) decided to escape and live on the lake
    8 brahma coks gone to various people
    15 cochin cocks gone to new homes

still got space for more birds and contacts looking for birds or if you have a need for a cockeral requirement then feel free to ask me as if we havnt got one then we will try and find one for you regards alan
  • ColehurstColehurst Junior Member
    edited February 2010
    We have often homed spent hens from commercial flocks who are considered finished after 72 weeks of age - and found that they still have a couple of years of healthy active life and will continue to lay reasonably productively for much of that time. :) John & Sue www.colehurstlayinghens.co.uk
  • HannahgHannahg Junior Member
    edited February 2010
    I bought two new hampshire red chicks at the end of last year hoping for a pair of hens to supply us with yummy eggs. Unfortunately one turned out to be a cockeral and although he is a wonderful bird with lots of character he is far to noisy for my neighbours to put up with.
    Would you possibly be able to help us rehome him. We were told we could take him back to where we got him from and swap him for a hen but he would have been for the chop if we had and I couldn't face that!
    edited March 2010
    Hannahg wrote:
    I bought two new hampshire red chicks at the end of last year hoping for a pair of hens to supply us with yummy eggs. Unfortunately one turned out to be a cockeral and although he is a wonderful bird with lots of character he is far to noisy for my neighbours to put up with.
    Would you possibly be able to help us rehome him. We were told we could take him back to where we got him from and swap him for a hen but he would have been for the chop if we had and I couldn't face that!

have pmd you with good news and contact details regards alan
  • jimmytheswitchjimmytheswitch Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    Hi,

We have 2 x 8 month old hens which need rehoming. One of them is being picked on by our others and has had feathers eaten. One is a sussex star and I cant remember the other ones breed. Would you be able to take them?

Regards,

James
  • fifi1705fifi1705 Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    Hi im new and i havea cock that needs rehoming,he is a beautiful big young bird.can anyone help? many thanks :)
    edited March 2010
    Hi,

We have 2 x 8 month old hens which need rehoming. One of them is being picked on by our others and has had feathers eaten. One is a sussex star and I cant remember the other ones breed. Would you be able to take them?

Regards,

James
    pmd you with good news
    edited March 2010
    fifi1705 wrote:
    Hi im new and i havea cock that needs rehoming,he is a beautiful big young bird.can anyone help? many thanks :)
    need to say what type he is and where you are and start a new post so people will view we will have him if you can get him to us in nuneaton near coventry regards alan
  • myamiamyamia Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    I'm a novice keeper and have 12 hens well 11 actually as I've just discovered that one is a cockeral, I don't know what to do I live in a urban area so its a no no with the noise I love him to bits but he has to be re homed, he's a very healthy and fit 26 week old maran, would you please be able to help me or point me in the right direction.. he's been totally free range all of his short life and I'd hate to see any harm come to him, just would be really grateful if someone could help me with this, I live in Hampshire and don't know where an earth to start :eek: :eek:

Thank you in advance

Myamia
    edited March 2010
    myamia wrote:
    I'm a novice keeper and have 12 hens well 11 actually as I've just discovered that one is a cockeral, I don't know what to do I live in a urban area so its a no no with the noise I love him to bits but he has to be re homed, he's a very healthy and fit 26 week old maran, would you please be able to help me or point me in the right direction.. he's been totally free range all of his short life and I'd hate to see any harm come to him, just would be really grateful if someone could help me with this, I live in Hampshire and don't know where an earth to start :eek: :eek:

Thank you in advance

Myamia

advertise him ftgh on the various poultry sites he will go if hes a pure breed
  • LittleBear18LittleBear18 Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    Hiya,

I have a little chamois polish cockerel - under a year beautiful friendly little boy and his two children - two polish black silkie crosses - again not aggresive in anyway but very shy.

Wondering if anybody could help me and give them a good home.

We've kept them for as long as possible but Gin (dad) his crowing has got ridiculous and I only have two girls who they are 'flirting' with a little bit too much and not leaving them alone.

Any advice/help would be great

thanks

Megan
    edited March 2010
    Hiya,

I have a little chamois polish cockerel - under a year beautiful friendly little boy and his two children - two polish black silkie crosses - again not aggresive in anyway but very shy.

Wondering if anybody could help me and give them a good home.

We've kept them for as long as possible but Gin (dad) his crowing has got ridiculous and I only have two girls who they are 'flirting' with a little bit too much and not leaving them alone.

Any advice/help would be great

thanks

Megan

might be good idea to say where you are also advertise them on a new post
  • chicken chickchicken chick Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Hi Allan, thanks for taking my Cream Legbar cockerels at the weekend.

Sheila, the Red Mottled Leghorn has settled in nicely with a flock of young French Marans and Light Sussex. She is very calm and placid. No eggs as yet though! :(

So thanks again!!:D

Jo and Lez
  • chicken chickchicken chick Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Hi again Alan,

I was just wandering if you have any history on Sheila the Red Mottled Leghorn?

Where she came from, how old etc? Still no eggs off her and was wandering if she was POL yet? She gets along with all young chickens but I she fights almost to the death with anything close to her size! She is a tough old bird!:)
    Very freindly with us though.

Have you had any luck with rehoming the Cream Legbar Cockerels yet?

Thanks again

Jo & Lez:D
  • catcat Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    ive seen lots of posts similiar to this started by beegal, and 'son of eddy' always posts loads of replies trying to confirm beegals intentions, it doesn't seem quite right to me.
    edited March 2010
    Hi again Alan,

I was just wandering if you have any history on Sheila the Red Mottled Leghorn?

Where she came from, how old etc? Still no eggs off her and was wandering if she was POL yet? She gets along with all young chickens but I she fights almost to the death with anything close to her size! She is a tough old bird!:)
    Very freindly with us though.

Have you had any luck with rehoming the Cream Legbar Cockerels yet?

Thanks again

Jo & Lez:D

jo the leghorn last years bird so should start laying soon probably tempremental waiting for the warm weather (may be long wait) suggest you give her some wormers prob could do with some as dont know when last wormed the cream legbars gone to a farmer to freerange with his hens all the best alan
    edited March 2010
    cat wrote:
    ive seen lots of posts similiar to this started by beegal, and 'son of eddy' always posts loads of replies trying to confirm beegals intentions, it doesn't seem quite right to me.

its right i have had a lot of birds off anne(son of eddy) and shes been to see us several times there are lots of other endorsements ALL THESE PEOPLE CANT BE WRONG. if you would take the time to read the posts that have several pages you would see that i have in detail explained what we do to assist you use this is a question and answer which i had on practical poultry in september 09

Hi, Beegal.
    Please forgive all the questions...BUT
    I was wondering...
    and I expect that maybe a few other people were too, about
    how your set up works. It seems absolutely marvelous,BUT...
    HOW do you manage to find so many new homes for all
    these so called unwanted birds..
    I struggle to find homes for the few unwanted cockerels I produced each year-
    I can't GIVE them away!
    Do you sell them on? How are they kept while awaiting homes?
    How can you afford to feed them while they are in your care?

I have 2 Crested Cream legbar cocks (now 20 wks) that need homes.
    They are pictured in this section under
    "cream legbar cockerel" started by toria25 (23/8/09)
    Would they be suitable candidates for rehoming?

I'm sorry if this sounded rude in anyway, it wasn't meant in that way.
    You obviously have been doing it for some time and seem to command a great deal of respect on here.

I'm just very curious, as it all just seems too good to be true!

I HOPE IT'S NOT!!!

the following is an answer which i have placed on another site

no probs happy to explain we operate a revolving door policy as i would be unable to keep all the birds that we receive so they come and go the good bred ones which are usefull for breeding find homes with my connections reasonably easily the others go as add ons to people who buy pullets off me as i buy and sell birds as well acting as a commission agent for several people. with the multiple cockerel deliveries generally going of to be grown on (several farmers happy to take them). we can only keep the birds for upto 2 months as thats the timescale i have found to be an acceptable time to rehome them then its of to melton in 2 years i have only taken around 30 birds to the market with 600 being moved through the farm then there are the ones who decide to stay (yes they do make their own minds up) hens ready to go to new homes escaping and taking up residence in the stables several now wandering round like they own the place but all individual characters i know it all sounds rather strange what we do but at least a lot of birds get a bit more life and are well looked after. your not the first to ask as many sceptics out their but happy to answer any questions its all voluntary and all we ever ask is a donation of a bit of food to keep them going anything else just ask regards alan

also have people who approach me for specific cockerels due to fatalities predation so many go pretty quickly

hope this is helpfull just yesterday a buff orp boy 22 weeks gone with 12 barn hens to replace predated flock new owner very happy
    Back to top )))))))))))))

perhaps you will now understand that in this extremely selfish cynical self self self world that there are people out their that do care and do offer help to people who are desperate to find a home for their birds due to

COCKERAL TO NOISY REALLY NASTY PHYSICAL THREATS FROM NEIGHBOURS
    COUNCIL INJUNCTIONS THREAT OF EVICTION DUE TO KEEPING POULTRY
    COCKERAL NASTY
    UNABLE TO LOOK AFTER ANYMORE DUE TO CHANGE OF CIRCUMSTANCES
    RESTRICTIVE COVENANT ON KEEPING LIVESTOCK
    ADD LOTS MORE

REGARDS ALAN AKA BEEGAL (SAVIOUR OF UNWANTED POULTRY)
    edited March 2010
    2 embden ganders gone to new home only here 3 days previously not enough room to spread their wings now out mowing 9 acres of grass sounds like a lifetimes work
  • HeatherDHeatherD Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    Hi im looking for a few hens to start out with, not particular about which breed, i enjoy chooks for who they are as much as for the eggs produced. I have 1/3rd acre garden with the hen house 90% complete. Any suggestions or contacts would be greatly appreciated :-) Im in a village not far from Nuneaton
    edited April 2010
    quick update

rouenn drake going to new home thursday
    14 cockerals gone to be grown on
    2 dutch bantams gone to breeder
    3 ixworths gone to breeder
    1 green legbar egg layer gone to enthusiast

still got plenty of room for any more unwanted chooks
  • toulacrosstoulacross Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    hi i have 2 young pure breed cockerels, one is a partridge pekin and the other a buff cochin. They happily lived with my other cochin and silkie cochin but the little pekin started them all off fighting. I have also advertised them on this site, thanks x
    edited May 2010
    quick good news story. big good looking friendly cuckoo maran arrived 10.15am saturday gone to new home 4.30pm the same day new owners very happy previous very gratefull been rehomed in nice big garden with nice people
  • AnnschooksAnnschooks Member
    edited May 2010
    Good to know you're keeping up the good work Alan, but not quite a record beater!! Didn't one of my Blue Cochin boys go faster than that last year?

I seem to remeber you saying you'd got a new home for him before he even touched ground at your place!!

Its good to know we have somewhere we can take excess boys to when we have so many they are causing strife.
  • Hilary PearsonHilary Pearson Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    Hi Beegal

We have a beautiful cockerel cross breed - hatched at home from a broody hen - non aggressive and calm we really don't want to have him disposed of, but he is making a real mess of the hens. Any chance of finding a home for him? I can find out what breed he is.

Hilary
  • Andy_$Andy_$ Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi Beegal,

We have recently hatched 6 eggs we are now looking for good homes for two cockerels.
    One is a black pekin called Pingu, he is a real character. The other is a lavender pekin.

They are both only 9 weeks old and not quite at the stage of crowing.

Can you help please? We are in Cheshire

Thanks
    Andy
  • lemon_cheesecakelemon_cheesecake Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi Beegal,

We have a lovely 7 mth old cockerel but becoming increasingly difficult to keep him. Hoping to rehome him asap. Really hoping you can help us please?