We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Fertile Eggs?!

MabelMabel Junior Member
edited September 2008 in Producers and Vets
I'm quite new to keeping chickens, and at the moment I have 8 warrens. Today I was given a copper black maran cockerel. I have never had any intention of getting a cockerel or breeding; and only really took him because he needed a home. But now I'm starting to worry that it may have been a bad idea? Will people be put off by eating fertile eggs?? If I take eggs home and keep them at room temperature, is there any chance of development happening?
I'm a vegetarian and only eat eggs from my chickens because I know they're happy and healthy (and unfertile!). But will I now be eating a chicken embryo? I'm just really paranoid now that someone will crack open an egg I sell them and find something nasty in there.

Can someone please explain and hopefully put my mind at ease by educating me on this!

Mx

Comments

• ChrisKChrisK Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    The embro will only start to develop if you have a broody hen sat on the eggs. As long as you collect the eggs regularly throughout the day they will be fine - also they need to be kept at around 37 degrees to start developing so no problems there either. I have 2 cockerels and have no problem selling my eggs to the locals or eating them myself - enjoy!