We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Weasel Problems

PoultryPottsPoultryPotts Member
edited August 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
I had 13 chickens now I have 3. I have a problem with weasel and coons. The took a huge toll on my chickens. When the coons would get them there would be nothing but a few feathers. When the weasel would come there would be at least 2 dead chickens sucked of blood lying in a line or i a pile but mostly in a big pile. The weasel even got 9 pound new hamp cock. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.:(

Comments

• jiggseobjiggseob Junior Member
    edited August 2008
    Once these varmints get a taste for good chicken, they will keep coming back until the supply is exhausted.

To trap a weasel, you need a tomato juice can, nalied to a board so it won't move. Put a gopher trap just in the entrance to the can, and fasten with wire, wire a piece of raw liver inside the can so the weasel has to go over/through the gopher trap to get the liver.

Or, borrow a live catch trap from the local animal control or SPCA.

We don't have 'coons in Alberta, but we have skunks, and they catch using a bigger live-catch trap. We borrow the live catch from the county, they have it for catching cats but it works for skunks, baited with raw liver again. Once you have a skunk in a live catch trap, thats an adventure. Throw a piece of poly or tarp over it, and put the hose from the exhaust under the tarp, and run the tractor with the choke on for about 1/2 hour. That will fix the skunk. Wash the trap in the carwash using the hot-steam. 'Coons may be fixed in that (or any other acceptable) manner or possibly relocated to a far far away wilderness place.

Weasels, 'coons, and skunks are wild animals just doing what comes naturally for them. They are wild animals, and as such, there may be laws where you are that protect them. Check with the local county or state before you trap or harm the critters, to make sure you don't end up in jail. Whatever you do to the varmints, please do it humanely.

Its always best to have good fences and enclosures, located far enough away from bushes and hedge-rows that the predators are reluctant to sneak across a large open area to get your chickens. Thats in a perfect world.

In reality, we live in an imperfect world, and work with what we have. The varmints also like what we have.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
  • sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    In an effort to prevent weasels or rats getting at the chickens at night here, we've got the coop walls lined with zinc sheets to a depth of about 2'6" and also covering the floor. So far nothing has got in but really sorry to hear about your loss.
  • tonytony Junior Member
    edited December 2008
    consider getting a cat they love to hunt and prey on weasel
  • PoultryPottsPoultryPotts Member
    edited December 2008
    tony wrote:
    consider getting a cat they love to hunt and prey on weasel
    I have plenty of them.;)
  • CUDACUDA Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    You can find some answers to common predator troubles HERE.
  • curlywatcurlywat Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    get online and look for someoen near you who has patterdale terriers - they will probably come and take out any pests you may have.