We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

have 2 muscovy ducklings, how do i sex them?

zoezombiezoezombie Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Producers and Vets
:confused: ive asked the pet shop where i bought them from, asked my local vet, nobody knows!

Comments

• pottymoopottymoo Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    Hi I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see. I have three ducklings four weeks old two khaki campbells and a magpie , just getting their feathers and attempting to quack. The only way you'll know is either by the tail feathers curling up if male and colour of or by the quack. Males don't really quack properly it's like asore throat quack females have a definite quack. it's exciting waiting to see what you have. to see feathers coming and that. I'm smitten with mine. They called tansy, thistle and pip. How old are yours and what stage they at? moo
  • zoezombiezoezombie Junior Member
    edited July 2008
    ;) ill love them either way, as im hand rearing them, im already attached, theyre 3 wks old, and theyre brown & white, & black & white. always been a bird lover but this is my 1st duck experience. they seem 2 recognise me as their mother
    edited July 2008
    i love them already as im hand rearing them, just curious if theyre both males will they fight? no way i can kill an animal, especially when ive reared them myself. theryre 3 wks old & really cute, they love worms & crickets, they go nuts! havent named them yet though. my nan had 1 that lived till she was 10! have you had ducks for a long time?
    edited July 2008
    Hi, no not had ducks for long got them about three weeks ago when they were a week old, they getting big now, they've just about got most of the feathers now and one of them does a definite quack now and again but I don't know which one. I sit next to the cage in the kitchen to try and see but to no avail. they are so funny. All have a little character of their own. I don't think they'll fight, but couldn't be sure . I've got three only to have ratio of perhaps two females to one male cause if you have one of each then there a possibilty of the drake being too much for the female. I still don't know for sure whether I have males or females. I know I have at least one female because of a definite quack. I'm still learning and enjoying every minute.
    edited July 2008
    cool me to. had my ducks 4 just over a week, they were 2 weeks old so 3 now. ive named them puddles and pebbles, theyre very cute. thanks 4 ur advice, apparently drakes have bigger feet and more elongated bodies than ducks, and bigger feet. im leaning towards them being drakes, so i'll let u know. good luck with ur lil ones and take care:)
    edited July 2008
    Hi aw how cute love the names, yes keep me posted I would love to hear how they doing and what you have eventually when you know take care moo x
  • bellypopabellypopa Junior Member
    edited October 2008
    it is nearly impossible when they are young but you can by feeling the pelvic bones and seeing if they are able to move side to side. the females have more movable pelvic bones to let the eggs thru. also another way is by waiting 6 months and the males get big red bits on their face and the females get only a little bit of red on their face. my muscovy ducklings hatched a little while ago and now i have 12 muscovys. i love them to bits. hope this helped.
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I have seen some duck people in the west sex ducks and it is really quite easy. You turn the duck upside down, you push away the feathers from around its genitals. You squeeze the opening and out comes the penis if it is a boy. If it is a girl the penis is not there! Others do it by a microscopic lens
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I would imagine you could do it at 3 days of age, but I have seen it done at day old. There would be no change just the birds is slightly bigger and a little more difficult to hold. But using this squeeze technique the penis can be seen with the folds of tissue. It is tiny so you need good eye sight.