We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Adding Poulets to old stock

RitabmRitabm Junior Member
edited November 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
I have two lovely chickens who are two years old and would like to add two poulets, but was told that they would be bullied, can someone please tell me the best way to integrate so all my chickens stay happy. Thanks

Comments

• PugziPugzi Junior Member
    edited June 2008
    Hi,
    I haven't done this myself, but I know it makes sense and have heard lots of other people say the same thing. If you can divide up the new and the old chooks with a chicken wire fence or other suitable material so that they can be in very close proximity, visually see each other but crucial not be able to abuse each other then that would be best. So perhaps, as a temp. measure, divide the run for about 1 to 2 weeks. They'll slowly get used to seeing each other and start to bond as a flock. It works with fish, I know.

Good luck,

Steve
  • sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    Also, if new birds are to be housed within an existing flock, they should be put into the henhouse after dark, when the others are already roosting. Even where they are being kept separate during the day, they should return (or be returned to) the others, after dark.
  • flumpflump Junior Member
    edited November 2008
    I put new hens in a seperate cage like a rabbit hutch so the old birds can see them but can't touch them,after a few days i let the new birds out with the old birds in the garden and usually after about a week or two weeks they can be all housed together.
    flump