We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Depressed chicken

susangsusang Junior Member
edited April 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi,
Tookey my 4 year old hen has been mooning around the garden, off her dry food but eating all the bugs and worms in the garden. She looks like she's trying to pass an egg but hasn't laid for me since I got her, which was a year ago, with a friend. I have the chance today of getting her a buddy as a friend is replacing his old hens. Do you think she might buck up?
Sue.

Comments

• sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    Hens are not supposed to be solitary creatures, so perhaps some company would help??!! Worth a try.
  • susangsusang Junior Member
    edited May 2008
    I got another chicken, who was destined for the chicken castle in the sky ,a big brown one, I've called her Sweetiepie. The 2 old age pensioners are sitting together at the bottom of the garden out of the sun. They seem to be getting on, a few spats at first but nothing major.
    Thanks Sue
  • sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited June 2008
    It seem intuitionally wrong to keep any creature in isolation (well, sure there are some exceptions) so I'm not at all surprised that they have become companions. There's always some type of pecking order hierarchy but as you say about the spats, they soon work out what's what.
  • edited February 2009
    didnt know where to post this. i have 4 sussex hens, (as well as some more) and 4 marans. they went thro the moult end of last summer, and i have not had a egg off them yet!!. my 4 RID are laying well, and my 2 marans, which are about 1 year old are laying ok. can you give any any advise please. thanks lynn
  • edited February 2009
    didnt know where to post this. i have 4 sussex hens, (as well as some more) and 4 marans. they went thro the moult end of last summer, and i have not had a egg off them yet!!. my 4 RID are laying well, and my 2 marans, which are about 1 year old are laying ok. can you give any any advise please. thanks lynn
    i have 13 hens and one cock. he is a wandotte.
  • treewalkertreewalker Member
    edited April 2009
    after moult,usualy 2-4 mo till u start getting eggs one way to speed this up is give them 12-14 hours of light and give more protien during moult.