We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Help sick chick about week old

stacysbunch2000stacysbunch2000 Junior Member
edited May 2008 in Producers and Vets
I am new to raising chickens I have 12 that are about 2 months old that are fine and outside. But I recently bought 15 chicks most are a week old, from 2 different people, and one very tiny chick is not looking well. It is being excluded from the other chicks, it has a hard time standing, it stumbles alot, and is just alot smaller than the others. It seems to be eating and drinking but something doesn't look right. It did have crusted butt 2x but I cleaned it off so it could poop. Not sure of the poop color cause I have 15 chicks in the bunch. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks:confused:

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    Could just be that it is a runt... hopefully it comes around on its own. As long as it's eating and drinking, and isn't showing signs of diarrhea (which could indicate coccidiosis or an e.coli infection) then there's nothing much more that can be done for it. You could try separating it from the others, putting a chick or two in for company- this way it may have better access to food. Are they on a medicated chick starter?

Can I also suggest that you post in the "poultry health" forum, rather than this one, as the other gets frequented every day, but this one doesn't get looked at very often...

Hope this helps,

Laura