We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

How can I tell..

chick_chickchick_chick Junior Member
edited May 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Being's I inherited my hens from my son, I have no idea what breed they are?? Does the color of the hen tell what breeds they are? I have 4 all white hens (lay every day) and 4 blackish brown hens that lay brown eggs every day, (all except one that we get an egg out of about twice a week) Our rooster is black and white mix. Any ideas about the breeds?

Comments

• layinghenlayinghen Member
    edited April 2008
    I'm not too sure, I don't know much about different breeds, but they could be mixed breeds.
  • sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    Don't know about identifying them from your description but there are poultry breed sites available, if you just tap in 'breeds of poultry' into the search engine and maybe you can identify them from the pictures?. Quite a few of our are hybrid crosses; I can tell from their tails that they're part leghorn, one of the most prolific laying breeds but their colour suggests other types. Good Luck!
  • PoultryPottsPoultryPotts Member
    edited May 2008
    Your roster sounds like Blackstar so do your black hens. Your white hens sound like leghorns.