We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Candling Query, please help.

srichardssrichards Junior Member
edited October 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and actually new to incubating my own chicks.
I have candled my incubators eggs for the 1st time today and I am concerned about the outcome?

first of all I am new to this but I have made my own homemade incubator with the help of my brother who has done this many times. the construction is not exactly cosmetically appealing but over the last 5 days (4.5 exactly as we speak) the temp and humidity has kept within the tolerances fine. (obviously due to work and having to sleep commitments I cannot check constantly but I have done early morning, noon, evening and night time and all has been ok) also turned then 4 - 5 times a day.

All the eggs are from the same supplier and are small to medium in size and are Black Silkie eggs in a pale to cream(ish) colour.

I have candled then this afternoon (exactly 4.5days in incubation) and they do not seem to have the vein type look about them, instead thay all basically have a darker colour band or oval shape. either near the top of the larger end or slightly lower just above the centre??

I have managed to take digi cam pictures of the outcomes on all the eggs and I will hopefully add a few examples here as they are all basically the same but different mass sizes and areas.

Can any of you please help out with what I should expect either good or bad news as I'm a little worried at the moment.

Many thanks in advance
Scott x

33lhx7q.jpg
51u0cy.jpg

Comments

• Kate MerrimanKate Merriman Junior Member
    edited April 2008
    Hi, Not really sure I can help as very new to incubating too and haven't had a great deal of success. I have ducks which take 28 days to incubate so I don't know how relavant my experiences are, but of my first lot 3/3 were fertile and had a blob with visible vessels by day 5. unfortunately they died in shell just before hatching which was heart breaking. Have now got a new lot on the go. 7/10 are fertile and showed by 5-6 days so I would have thought yours should be showing by now. Good Luck anyway. I'm sure the joy of the hatch (eventually) will be worth all the angst! :-)

Kate
  • sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    With hens, i read that candling can be done after 10 days, so maybe things will look different then?
  • CUDACUDA Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    Yep, wait till ten days and do it again and you should see some kind of development. If you want to see exactly what to expect, check out THIS. Good luck!