We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I have just brought Pullets and am new to this can someone help me please

hennyhenny Junior Member
edited June 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
:confused: we brought 5 acres and got 4 pullets they are silkies not sure what to do with them or when they start laying etc i really would love soem advice as i new to a farmlet life with hens but am so keen please help

Comments

• sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    I've heard that the Sikie hens breed is particularly prone to 'broodiness' where they just go and sit on a nesting place; they are used as foster mothers to hatch eggs because of this. Broodiness interferes with their laying cycle and can mean they go without enough food and water, making them selves poorly. There is advice available on this site if you need to try to correct their broody behaviour. They are lovely little hens though; we have a white silkie bantam rooster here, called Spartacus. Most hens come into lay at between 16-20 weeks.
    edited May 2008
    With all that space at your disposal, maybe find them a couple of other-breed companions, which are more likely to lay regularly and less prone to the broodiness I mentioned before?
  • randyNCrandyNC Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    I don't know if you are aware but since the don't have teeth they have a gizzard and need Grit and Oyster shells. Keep it where they can help themselves to it. Scratch, if they are at least 16 weeks old they would need laying crumbs. Chickens like leftovers and a lot of things.
    edited June 2008
    As a supplement to oyster grit, we bake our egg shells on top of the multi-fuel (a grill or oven can be used, too) and when they're brittle, I crush them up finely and put this in a dish near to the hens food or water source. The hens snaffle it down as and when they want.