We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chemicals to Enhance Flavor in Feed

MariaSMariaS Junior Member
edited March 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Please be honest with me. I want to know if chickens are being fed grains that have enhanced flavor chemicals? I think they are and that I'm allergic to them.

I have found the eggs to smell and taste the same at times.
They smell like SALT and burn the tongue. Is it a preservative that's being added to their food?

This has happened since November. And you all who raise chickens know the answer and I would like to know it too.

Comments

• CUDACUDA Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    No, not that I know of. Chickens aren't picky, they will eat just about anything, no need for additives that I can see.
  • StickmanStickman Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    Hi MariaS

Yolk colour is determined by xanthophyll, a naturally occurring pigment in corn, grass etc

The amount of xanthophyll in commercial feed fluctuates, so large producers 'dye' their yolks by feeding their hens a colouring called canthaxanthin.

Never heard of anyone developing an allergy to it to it, but I suppose it's possible. Same is used to feed farmed salmon to 'dye' their flesh.

I don't think it's used in organic eggs, so buy those instead.

Better still, buy a few hens, then you can control their diet.

Hope this helps

Nick.