We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Egg products without hens!

mymagic123mymagic123 Junior Member
edited July 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
It’s time for the food-industry to create plant-based alternatives to egg-products, due to urgent reasons of efficiency, ecology, animal rights, health and hygiene. For more inspiration and information you can visit http://www.futurefood.org/eggproducts/index_en.php

Comments

• sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    mymagic123 wrote:
    It’s time for the food-industry to create plant-based alternatives to egg-products, due to urgent reasons of efficiency, ecology, animal rights, health and hygiene. For more inspiration and information you can visit http://www.futurefood.org/eggproducts/index_en.php

I disagree.
  • derekderek Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    I to disagree
    I think once their is a substitute for eggs without chickens I suppose we wil have to start working on veggies without vegetables.
    Time to wake up i think and let us all make up our own minds what we want to eat and how it gets to our table.Thats most important to me HOW IT GETS TO MY TABLE.:eek:
  • mymagic123mymagic123 Junior Member
    edited March 2008
    Vegetables/plants will not be replaced as they are the basic source of nutrition, for humans and for livestock as well, because at the start of the food-chain all is based on plants.

Eating animal products on the other side adds an item to the food-chain, which makes it less performant, by losing plant-calories through the animal.
    This often has negative effects on ecology or world-nutrition. Health reasons and animal welfare as well as economic reasons can be other driving forces to replace the additional item "animal" in our food-chain.
  • chookchaserchookchaser Member
    edited March 2008
    mymagic123 wrote:
    Vegetables/plants will not be replaced as they are the basic source of nutrition, for humans and for livestock as well, because at the start of the food-chain all is based on plants.

Eating animal products on the other side adds an item to the food-chain, which makes it less performant, by losing plant-calories through the animal.
    This often has negative effects on ecology or world-nutrition. Health reasons and animal welfare as well as economic reasons can be other driving forces to replace the additional item "animal" in our food-chain.

Ok if your a veggie, but i'm not. It will be like that Quorn stuff you can buy yuk:( .
    I would still prefer my fresh free range eggs. ;)
    edited March 2008
    ok so its obvious mymagic123 is a veggie but to my mind its natural for the human being to want meat aswell as veg just as it is for a pig ,a badger and many other carnivor x herbifor animals the only difference for the animals is they seem to be left alone to what they want to eat and dont get people like the magic person preaching to them what they should and should not eat . we all know what is good for you and what is bad for you and i have a waist band to proove that but it is my choice and the way this country (uk) is being governed at the moment it is a very rare thing to still have choice in something (i am a smoker to) .
    sorry if i offend anybody wth my veiws and my oppinion but thats how i am and ive been around too long to be converted to a veggie and as i have already stated i for one do not think its natuaral
    DEREK
    edited March 2008
    There are lots of reasons for being veggie; political, moral or just taste preference! I can understand some of the arguments against eating meat but I can't see how this can be applied to poulty eggs? I realise that birds are ofter reared for both meat and eggs but even where this is not so, hens produce eggs and if these are not going towards increasing the flock, what's the perceived problem in eating them?????
    edited March 2008
    lets leave the veggie debate and look at the world without eggs for eating;;
    first of all imagine we all stop eating eggs tommorrow what happens to the chickens laying all the eggs ? OK so we stop incubating the eggs un natrually,we still have the chickens that laid the eggs. right now we have stopped incubation we still have chickens that lay eggs and lots of cockeralls still wanting to do to the hens what they do best ,so we have stopped eating the eggs and little miss hen whos eggs are not taken away (cos we dont eat them anymore) goes broody. Low and behold a few weeks later we have the patter of tiny feet more egg producing stock and still we dont eat eggs anymore. RESULT you have lots of chickens, lots of eggs lots of chickens lots of eggs and so on and so on . now what i think you would end up with is a situation like the pigeons of trafalger square but the same with chickens , now i have nothing against pigeons because i race them and i know for a fact that they are far from the rats in the sky that they have been labelled with but what this does proove to me is that if you have an animal like a pigeon or a chicken that is not here for human entertainment or consumption they eventually come under a whole new lable and that is VERMIN or PEST .now i think anybody who comes up with such a STUPID PATHETIC idea like having eggs without chickens or eggs made from plants and not chickens realy needs spend a little time for thought and think of the cosequencys before going public with a hairbrian idea like this one.
  • 6BuffRocks6BuffRocks Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    HI Derek!

Don't get your veggies in a twist! lol

It won't happen, the knock on effect from substitute eggs... how do you poach it, boil it, fry it..........
    Maybe these products are already being used in some food chain stuff like cakes etc, we have reached the point where we have to question everything we eat, look at the labelling - example, Ginger Ale/Dry Ginger: any ginger in the ingredients? NOPE!

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AS VERSATILE AS AN EGG!

(I'm off to do some poaching - a quick visit to the shed first ;)

Best regards,

Wendy
    edited March 2008
    sorry if it seems that i have got my veggies in a twist wendy, their are just cirtain things that get my backup a bit and interfering people that want to dictate to me what me and my family should and should not put on my dinning table are only one of them others include do gooders that have put this country (uk) in the state its in today ,people who preech we should do this and that with criminals but reserching shows they do not have to live in amongst the scums, so if veggies dont want to eat eggs from chickens dont bloody eat them and leave others alone to make their own decisions.:mad: :eek: :D
  • saikotikgunmansaikotikgunman Junior Member
    edited June 2008
    Kind of bugs me that someone would join a poultry forum who doesn't think we should be raising poultry.
  • jacyjonesjacyjones Member
    edited June 2008
    Kind of bugs me that someone would join a poultry forum who doesn't think we should be raising poultry.
    A very good point!! Leave us chicken owners to get on with what we want to do and go and live your egg free life, if that floats your boat!
    edited July 2008
    I have been a veggie several times; currently I'm not but even if I were, my viewpoint would be the same as it is at this moment in time. I don't accept the argument that by consuming eggs, I am helping to sustain 'additional items' in the food chain. Hens lay eggs; these are produced by them, on a regular basis. Regardless of whether these eggs are fertilised; they are already there in existence and would continue to be produced, whether they were eaten by me or anyone else, or not. Unfertilised eggs that are left by a hen will either be eaten by another animal, or will rot down. They exist independently of what happens to them afterwards and will continue to be produced by poultry, whether they are consumed or not.