We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

swollen chick

rjonesrjones Junior Member
edited August 2006 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I just received a half dozen chicks on Friday. One of them is swollen and seems not to be able to drop anything. It can barely stand and does not move around much. I'm new to this whole chicken concept but I want to learn and I need some help. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with my chick.

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited August 2006
    The poor little guy is potentially constipated and you need to act immediately. Get a syringe with one of the following: 1 cc of mineral oil OR 1 cc of warm water OR mix up a bit of weak epsom salt/water solution, take 1 cc of that. Constipation is a deadly problem that usually affects chicks that have been shipped as they are dehydrated when they show up. I lost one this way but caught on before I lost the next. Hopefully you catch it in time...

Take the syringe and gently squirt the liquid up the baby's vent, using enough pressure to get it far enough in. Hopefully in a few minutes, the chick is able to pass droppings. If not, do one more cc of liquid- then monitor the chick. Keep it warm and hydrated.

There is a possiblity that it is a bacterial infection, but this is by far the more common and easier-to-fix problem...

Laura
  • rjonesrjones Junior Member
    edited August 2006
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.