We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Masculine Hen?

sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
edited February 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Can anyone help, please? I am unsure if an Orpington, which was bought as one of two hens and a cockeral, is actually male?

One of the birds undoubtly is; he crows, treads hens and has a pronounced comb and tail feathers and one is definitely a hen, which lays eggs.

The third however, is a mystery. The comb is enlarged like the cockeral's although the tail feathers are not so pronounced and it does tread hens sometimes.

I'm sure I've heard that sometimes hens do exhibit masculine characteristics like this, has anyone else? I've not heard it trying to crow at all.

The flock are 25 in total: 2 'known' cockerals and 23 mixed types of hens. Any advice appreciated; thanks.

Comments

• chookchaserchookchaser Member
    edited January 2008
    Hi Sharon,
    I only have four hens, our oldest hen is the boss and acts like a cockeral keeping all the others in order. Also she has'nt laid an egg since the new hens came back in the summer.
  • sharon mcsharon mc Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Hi Sharon,
    I only have four hens, our oldest hen is the boss and acts like a cockeral keeping all the others in order. Also she has'nt laid an egg since the new hens came back in the summer.

Well, we have Cocky the male Orp and then an Orp hen who lays eggs now and then; she has a much smaller comb then Cocky but this other one?

It doesn't have hugely pronounced tail feathers like Cocky, as I say but the comb is large and it's just this straddling the other hens! Otherwise, I wouldn't say s/he struts around like Cocky or the male Silkie we've got (Spartacus!). Puzzling!

Thanks for taking the time to RSVP tho. I'm really fond of our hens already and it's a great hobby.
    edited February 2008
    I have just found the answer to my query in the Pure Breeds and Enthusiasts section. Great !
  • greenboygreenboy Junior Member
    edited February 2008
    We had this chicken ( at that time we had no rooster) we had 10 chicken and this one started behaving like a male one she even tried to mount other hen,when I brought a rooster to the coop, all this none sense stop, she even had babies next spring, and I remember she was quiet normal until a fox got her years after.
    edited February 2008
    Well, things came to a head when I saw the two of the Orpington's cocking/crowing at each other. Guess he was just a late developer! Def a rooster!