We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chickenout, Hugh Fernley Whittingstall

Joshw_ukJoshw_uk Junior Member
edited March 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Strange to see no mention of this series anywhere, tho it was a UK program, and I'm not sure whether this is a UK site.

After seeing it I was pretty sickened. The conditions were atrocious and completely unacceptable. What I found most despicable was that the farmers only get 3p a chicken. WTF?! How the heck do they afford to feed the chickens never mind raise a profit. I've just got 4 chickens, I've already spent a tenner thats just on hey and straw, i got the chickens and the food for free, and I haven’t spent a penny on heating/lighting/run. That’s £2.50 a chicken already, and I've only had them a couple of hours, and I haven't had to feed them the ten months they've already been alive. It really hammered home the point. It had never even crossed my mind how ludicrously cheap chickens are in the supermarkets, but thinking about it, two for a fiver, how is that possible? Even for the farmer :S

I don't do the food shopping in the house, mum does. We've always only had free range/organic eggs but never the chickens. We've always bought the cheap ones because in comparison organic seems stupidly expensive. I think Hugh put it best when he said organic isn't artificially expensive battery chickens are artificially cheap and no i don't blame the farmers. How the hell can they be to blame at only three pence a chicken? I mean, what are they supposed to eat air?

There are two people responsible, the first are the supermarkets, for offering them in the first place, despicable, people were right when they said that meat used to be a luxury, it still should be, the problem is now so many people are used to eating meat everyday rather than a couple of times a week or just on Sunday lunch, they're not going to want to give that up. And they only got used to it because supermarkets allowed conditions to get so bad.
The other person is the consumer, that’s you and me, now hey, ok, we didn’t know, or, never really considered the fact, but once you’ve seen it, I don’t know how anyone could buy it again. I felt awful just using up the cheap chicken we had left in the freezer! I just, didn’t really wanna eat it, but then, it was already dead. So I didn’t wanna waste it either. Its lived a crappy life for me and now its dead, I might aswell make the most of a sickening situation. People say its too expensive to go organic, they say they don’t because they can’t afford it.. well what the ****. If its twice as expensive, I’ll eat it half as often. The king james bible says “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” Which is basically saying that its not about just breaking the commandments, if you know the right thing to do, and you don’t do it, then you’re doing wrong, you’re ****ing up and missing the mark. Its not right.

You know, if anyone wants to harp on about not being able to afford it, and having no choice. Bullshit. My dads just resigned for good reason. My mum works part time as a nurse (who are under paid). My parents have 2 kids to feed, me being one, and thirty something grand left on the mortgage to pay off thanks to a recent extension. So family of four on a part time wage, we can’t afford organic, so this week we didn’t get any. If we can do it, so can you!

Comments

• Joshw_ukJoshw_uk Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    and what annoyed me more was the fat chick on the program. She needed to loose 5 stone and she was saying buying cheap chicken was a nessesity! Thats utter crap. She needs to eat half as much of every thing let alone chicken. Perhaps if she bought a few less chocolate chruncies she could afford to do the right thing, in her case the right thing being eating less accross the board nevermind just chicken.
  • welshpolishwelshpolish Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    You are obviously very passionate about this topic! It was a great programme and really opened your eyes to whats going on.

We struggled to get an organic/free range chicken in the local tesco since this programme so i've complained.. hopefully they will start putting more on the shelves. When we did get one it was really nice.

What bothers me is that if you just buy what you need (rather than wasting stuff you don't eat) you should be able to buy more organic! The taste is so much better and you're avoiding possible chemicals etc as well as knowing the animal has had a better life. So a good point in the programme is buy a lovely tasting free range chicken then use the leftovers for other meals. We should all be eating lots of fruit and veg too so increase the veg portions if the chicken you can afford is small.

It does seem to be working and lots of people have been talking about it.

The problem is some people just don't care and lot's of people don't like being told what to do.... i'm sure the change to more organic/free range food will happen but it will take time, especially when you consider the schools, fast food stores and cafe s etc that use cheap chicken at the moment. Lets hope the chicken out awareness continues.
  • Foghorn LeghornFoghorn Leghorn Junior Member
    edited February 2008
    I watched the series and also Jamie's Fowl Dinners. They were both very eye opening and pretty distressing. I believe it is definately making quite a big difference already. We already have 1 Cockerel and 8 hens but we are collecting 4 rescue battery hens on Saturday. It is going to be sad seeing the state they will be in but we are very much looking forward to bringing them back to health and making the rest of their lives happy. Our two Marons were very skinny when we bought them at auction 6 months ago. They are now lovely and shiny, plump and laying an egg a day each. Very rewarding!

My mother in law has found it difficult to buy free range. Hugh has now started a campaign via e-mail to take photos of empty free range shelves....I love his passion!

We are very lucky. We live on the East Coast and have a fantastic auction every Monday. We pick up two free range large Chickens for £2.50....bargain. They are already plucked but that's about it. Luckily my Fiance is happy to prepare the rest.
  • 6BuffRocks6BuffRocks Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    Well said!

There is a posting regarding these comments in Poultry Health & Welfare

'Watching TV? Cruelty to Chickens'

If you havn't done so already please go to:

www.chickenout.tv

and pledge your support...

Wendy.

PS, I think the 'fat chick' in HUgh's TV programme was specifically 'used' to give a fair airing of the experiment, some saw the logic and reasoning - and of course, the compassion. This lady absolutely refused to move from her perception of cheap chicken (and continued to support it) She has obviously no idea about healthy eating and it shows <wink>
    How can anyone take this woman seriously? she is certainly no role model (emphasis on model) and her 15 minutes 'claim to fame' is seriously masked by her 15 years of eating rubbish - including battery reared chicken.

Fat cow springs to mind.

oooh!

Whoah! Wendy! Tut, tut
    Fat Cow?
    (my mother would say "that's no way for a 'lady' to talk") sorry mum - passionate about chicken welfare, even at the expense of insulting stupid humans.
  • chookchaserchookchaser Member
    edited February 2008
    Does'nt that fat cow do a lot of volunteer work around her community.
  • derekderek Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    this is my oppinion for what its worth,
    firstly the fat b**ch -your comments are spot on, I am a good 4 stone over weight and why I eat to much , I eat crap and I eat at the wrong time of the day atleast i'm onest with myself and all that are reading this post .
    secondly and bare in mind this is my oppinium for which i have a right and some people or all people may or may not agree with is; most organic chickens are raised in much the same way as shown on tv however they are not fed chemicals and crap that makes them grow so quick so making them less affordable and if i am write they to have to live in appaling conditions and for that little bit longer so as to make the weight this cant be right.
    now before you all jump on a high horse dont forget i am on the side of the chicken and this is just my oppinion for what its worth right or wrong but i am of stong believe and this is a fact organic food pricing is way too high and untill that is addressed it wont become the way of life for the majority of shoppers. Now my last point is this ;-I have eaten mass produced, I have eaten organic and I have eaten free range, now the best tasting to me was organic perhaps because of the lack of chemicals but the only chicken me and my family eat now is FREE RANGE this is not only because i keep ckickens myself its because it is so to speak exactly what it says on the tin FREE RANGE no chems no crap food no secrets behind closed shed doors.
    Thank you for your time in reading this post and appoligies for upsetting anyone accept the fat b**ch:D
    edited February 2008
    Spot on Derek!

We are not designed to be 8 stone wringing wet! Look at fine works of art, women were always full bodied, rounded, fuller figure and ask the majority of men or women, this is far more attractive that the anorexic models that some aspire to be. In some countries, big is better - it denotes wealth!

It is easy to make inferences by the way we dress or behave and in order to 'score points' we often go for the obvious.

You are so right, we have to question the nutritional value of forced chicken.

Years ago, everything was organic. In my book, organic' means mother earth, the land, the soil, sunshine and a 'natural' life.

It's the silly comments and narrow outlook of this woman that is outragous!

Doesn't she understand that these sickly birds may be detrimental to her personal health? Obviously not!

Cow/bitch??
    ...idiot springs to mind.

<smile!>

Wendy
    edited February 2008
    Chookchaser...

I'm not sure about the community work...
    I think she is a secret agent for Tesco.
    edited February 2008
    thanks for your support i was a bit frightend of offending people but i suppose thats the whole idea of a forum atleast here we havent lost the right to free speech YET. However i would be interested in how you feel about the raising of organic chickens or from anyone else who would even educate me more on the raising of organic chickens ,if my oppinion is wrong then i will always hold my hands up but their still seems to be lots of secrecy around the upkeep of organic chickens . lets not be confused organic does not mean free range and as you can read in my last post I know what I am happier eating FREE RANGE.
    thanks for your time in reading this post DEREK
  • chookchaserchookchaser Member
    edited February 2008
    Here's a web site that might answer some of your questions
    http://www.lloydmaunder.co.uk/
    edited March 2008
    thanks mate I must admit that is an eyeoppener to me and what a nice one it is to ,like i have said i will hold my hands up if i am wrong and with those poultry producers on that site i am very very happy to do just that.
    DEREK;)