We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Dog attack!

meganicemeganice Junior Member
edited January 2008 in Market Place
Hi, can any one advise me, my black rock hens were doing their thang on my garden today, when my German sheppard dog accidently was let out and got hold of one. I got him away within seconds, I don't think he bit her, but obviously she was very shook up. She hid under bushes for a while just laying down. Ive put them back in their run, but she just sits all puffed up and not eating. I'm so worried as I love my chucks. Can shock alone kill chickens?

Comments

• Heather07Heather07 Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Hi meganice,

Don't make your self feel bad about it these things happen..Maybe they could be avoided but sometimes you have to go through these things in order to understand and to know how to prevent them from happening again.
    Hi, can any one advise me, my black rock hens were doing their thang on my garden today, when my German sheppard dog accidently was let out and got hold of one. I got him away within seconds, I don't think he bit her, but obviously she was very shook up. She hid under bushes for a while just laying down. Ive put them back in their run, but she just sits all puffed up and not eating. I'm so worried as I love my chucks. Can shock alone kill chickens?

Can you see any blood, puncture wounds? You will have to look real hard.

She is probably very shook up I would imagine, thats most likely why she is not eating.

The answer to your question - Not 100% but I am pretty certain shock can kill along with the cold...you mentioned she is sitting there fluffed up? Obviously something going on.

I would bring her in and keep her warm and if she isnt eating by morning try and atleast get her drinking. But make sure you check for any bites or wounds.

Please keep me posted on her progress.

Heather
  • son of Eddyson of Eddy Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Keep her warm under a heat lamp prefably and keep her quiet and in somewhere dark so she feels safe.
  • meganicemeganice Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    Thank you Heather and Son of Eddy for your helpful reply. My hen seems much better this morning - she still looks a little fluffed up and more reserved than the others, but she came out to eat this morning, but unlike the other hens who wanted to roam on the garden, she went straight back in the coop. I haven't noticed any blood or wounds (my dog has in the past got hold of my cat and shook it, but remarkably he has never broken the skin so I think the same thing must of happened).

Do you think bringing her into a strange environment away from her sisters will stress her even more? I could put her in a bedroom or the garage with a heater.
  • son of Eddyson of Eddy Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    I would say that if she's eating, leave her where she is and let her do her own thing. If she's not happy being out in the garden, let her stay in the hut.
    After all if you'd just been attacked by a huge scary monster who was trying to eat you, wouldn't you be scared to go out for a while? Companionship and normal routine will help her settle back down. If she's survived the first night and she's eating then you've got over the biggest hurdle, but it will take sometime for her to develop her confidence again.
  • Heather07Heather07 Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    Glad to hear she is much better today, if she is eating and looks happy enough leave her where she is. I'd be scared to come out of my house if i'd nearly been eaten aswell :p

She should be fine now just keep and eye out, she is a very lucky chook.

Heather
  • meganicemeganice Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    Thanks guys for your support and advice, its nice to know there are people out there that love chickens for their personalities not taste. My hen seems a lot better now, ive put an old jumper in her sleeping compartment and im sure shes over the worst. Hopefully as time goes by she will get her confidence back and brave the garden once more!

Kind regards Megan x