We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Crusty Eyes

silkiemamasilkiemama Junior Member
edited December 2007 in "Off Your Chest"
I have some chicks that are 5 1/2 months old and I have noticed that a couple of them have one eye that is crusty. I live in Florida, so it is not that cold outside but I was just wondering what I need to do to help my little silkies. It looks like a yellow crust that has the eye shut. Help!

Comments

• 6BuffRocks6BuffRocks Senior Member
    edited November 2007
    Hi Silkimama.. I too have just acquired 6 buffs and one had a crusty eye. In my case I think the chick had respiratory problems, as advised her on this site. I am certainly no expert and calling on my happy childhood memories of my garandparents farm in Wales, UK 15,000 pullets - all free range I have tried a couple of self help methods.

Wrap something around the chick, like an old towel to stop the struggle. Have ready, a bowl of warm water, and some cotton wool pads and gently bathe the eye from left to right (not up or down), use a clean pad after a couple of wipes, 6 should be enough.
    I did this about every couple of days, about three times. Her eye is fine now and she is making steady progress.
    I think the crusting is a result of internal issues.. but again, I do not know how to advise you on this. Put up another posting, there are some really helpful senior members who know thier stuff!
    Take care, Wendy
  • sammisammi Senior Member
    edited December 2007
    wondering how your birds are?
    this could be conjunctivitis . and can be treated with eye drops from a vet if you are in UK.

for questions about sick poultry, post in the Health and Welfare forum.