We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Unusual problem...

Dear ladies of the forum:
A cat has taken to using the hen house as a litter tray🤔. Any ideas on how to deter it without harming the hens?

Maybe ggggrandpappy has some tips?

Comments

• doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    Hi Helen
    All I can think of to put the cats off is strong smell...Stalosan F would be my first choice - other than that some environmentally friendly alcohol based spray - if there is such a thing (cats hate the smell of alcohol)...let us know how you get on...
    M
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    If you are near a zoo...some big cat poo will do the trick.

Eucalyptus said to be helpful.

Failing these, my nasty Gold Brahma cock would see anything off!
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited December 5
    Maybe I should borrow him Sandie! To be honest I would expect any cat in the 'hood to be too frightened to go in there in case a hen got them cornered!
    I have tested a variety of herbs on our resident cat and she particularly dislikes rosemary. Yesterday I sprinkled copious quantities of this in the hut but it failed to work.🤔
    Tomorrow I will try eucalyptus...😣If that doesn't work then alcohol will follow; any particular spirit Marie?🥂

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    surely if you give a cat alcohol then it will pee all the more??????????????
    theres always great great great grandpappies ant eater prevention trap that he perfected up a mountain in the African plains . you need two long long long pieces of string, a metal bucket with no holes in it and a handful of ball bearings.................... get one piece of string and tie it across the width of your garden about 9 ft away from the coop ... puss will come along and look at it and wonder what on earth its doing there then gingerly or tabbily walk over it . nothing happens .Then it will come across your second piece of string which is tied across the width of your garden about 3 feet from your coop but this one is attched to a bag of ball bearing hanging over a metal bucket (with no holes in)nothing happened the first time so puss will just barge through this piece of string - bag will break , ball bearings will fall and clatter around in the bucket (with no holes in), cat will jump and because its already wasted time on the first piece of string will now be desperate and the fright will do its job outside of the coop......you can then put the string and ball bearings in the recycling bin but can keep the bucket to use again as its got no holes in it.
    on a serious note cats hate getting wet and so if you can wet her when she gets near the coop shell stop going there , and its not because a mad woman is throwing water over her , she wont associte you with it but rather see the place as a place where shell get soaked...you can use a hose , a water pistol or if you so happen to have a metal bucket with no holes in thats brill too
    or ..............put a cat litter tray under the coop for her
    xx Kath

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    ROFL Kath!🤣🤣🤣