We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Who's the birdbrain - me or the chooks?

I've missed you all but had a few weird years...will catch up with you all...despite the MOULT (why do they do that in Winter?) M

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    how yous doing Marie?
    looking forward to hearing from you soon . glad to see youre still keeping chickens or do you mean youre having the moult?maybe try colloidal silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xxxxKath
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    I'm OK now thanks Kath.
    As for my moult colloidal silver...cat biscuits...but mealworms are my favourites! I currently have 4 rescues with 2 white ones and it looks like it's snowing in the coop!
    M
    what breed are the white ones Marie? are they rescues too? what names have you picked for them ?
    xkath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    We've missed you too! It's a bit quiet on here these days!
    Have tried to post pics uselessly!...yes all rescues but from free range farm (as egg production well down since weather awful so glad they're healthy) - got them last December...I'll attempt to get you a pic cos I don't know what they are aside from pretty! I named them after my (dead!) aunts and uncles...and surprising how I can see characteristics in the originals...Bet and Peg (regulation orange)...Kay and Gerry (white)...Elphaba (my original blackrock... M
    i havent tried posting pics since the site changed so im no help.
    does hubby still work in pest control? can you ask him what type of rat is dark brown with a very pointy nose please and whats it doing in my chook run...no food at all but its been interested in my poo picking bag yuc that i put on top of the coop
    xx Kath
    I could have put money on how soon rats would be mentioned!🤣
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Well, hello, Marie. So, you're moulting.....now that's a first.

I've never tried to post pics, but I find the new format difficult to get my old brain around in any case.

I'm fully with you about the 'flying feathers' in late November. Why, just why? My sheep shed is full of them every morning and I'm going to have to dig out an old 'chicken coat' for one of the Naked Necks. Never well endowed with feathers, she is all but bald right now with big areas of bright red body exposed to the elements. Looks like she's been plucked.

Aren't all rats dark brown with pointy noses, Kath? Mabe not, I think some sewer rats are black.....no doubt you'll know, Marie.
    My white ones are small but wiry (as I said from a free range farm) - their tails are long and pretty (except when dipped in the mud they are at the moment) - they have a sweet personality...always want to 'help' clean the coop! Does this help identify them? - probably not but I will sort pics.

Kath - will ask OH about rats - he's out at the mo

Sandie - good luck with your little Naked Neck...I find the chicken coats useful to an extent but mine are all wool so when it rains I think mine are better off without them as they love splashing about so I wonder if woolly coats getting wet is worse.

Helen - good to be back!

This site looks a lot better - simpler but less spam
    M
    shhh the spammers have forgotton about us for now
    i wonder if your white ones are leghorns - do their tails tick up like a fan? ive got one and she lays lovely white eggs and two that are leghorn x araucana who dont have tails and lay bluish eggs
    x kath
    Yes - long white tails (that do fan open) and all white bright feathers with healthy white eggs...Leghorns? ... oooh I might be able to say I've got posh birds...what with my organic rescue Blackrock!! M
    All your hens are posh birds Marie, what with their own cafe and all! 🥗
    leghorns originally came from Italy......pronounced leggerns.......so you may have to learn some pigeon Italian to speak to them properly and change your cafe to a pizza parlour
    x kath
    Kath - we should have a 'like' button on this forum!
    Yes Helen - always thought of all my birds as posh (even though we lived in Essex!) ...when I saw the ex-caged flourish and saw what a chicken should look like it was wonderful! I'm glad my posh birds are having a rest from laying (assuming that's because they're from free range farms and exhibiting more natural behaviour?)...

As for pigeon Italian Kath - how's this for a daily shout down the garden:

CHI VUOLE L'UVA???? = Who wants grapes????
    (according to Google anyway!) - will give it a go...
    M
    served al fresco of course.....with a nice bottle of chianti :)
    x kath
    They might just shout back ' Shaddupayaface and speaka da english'🤣