We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

3 more batties...

solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
edited October 25 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Took on 3 more ex caged hens last weekend; Dolly, Donna & Josie.
Since I started taking on 'exbats' many years ago, it's amazing how much stronger they have become with each 'rescue'. Must be the bigger cage/more hens set up.
Having said that - all was going well until today when Dolly became poorly. Then I noticed a very pecked foxglove in the garden.....
She's indoors tonight and being offered very regular water with probiotics to flush the system....

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    whoopee! 3 very lucky girls . how did you choose their names?. i had a horse called donna and an auntie called josie - just some useless infomation there - im full of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im friends on a rescue site on facebook and yes the hens dont seem as bedraggled as those ive seen years ago but i think they are mostly barn hens with an open door aka free range
    poor Dolly she must have just got carried away with the excitement of greenery - something they still fail to supply to the caged hens. i hope she makes a speedy recovery bless her.
    my sons girlfriend has a lone chicken - an araucana and shes asked if i want it so i may be adding her sometime soon
    congratulations on your newbies
    x Kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    I bet you'll be adding a blue/green egg to your clutch very soon then!

I wanted to pick names with an O for October in them, and these happen to be family names too (I too have an Auntie Josie!).

Dolly doing better today. All three stayed in the conservatory all afternoon due to the rain, as I didn't want her getting wet & cold. Integration might be on hold for another day or two.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hope Dolly recovered
    the chook i was offered died before i even got to see her sadly so im sticking to the eight
    xKath
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    Kath...that's sad but everyone had good intentions.

Helen...Integration on hold (eek!) - I've obviously been away too long!
    M
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 18
    Hey Marie! We often refer to the Doormouse integration method on here! Fantastic to have you back!
    All three well and truly integrated now, although just had another blip with Dolly who passed what I call a brolly shell today (like a folded up brolly) - yes, a Dolly brolly!

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Only just caught up with this post. i hope the batties are thriving now, and will, no doubt, be looking much better than when they first came to you.I hope they are avoiding the foxgloves...

Marie.....a real Blast from the Past.....so nice to hear your comments.

I've added a further 11 chickens (from hatching) over the summer....of which 8 are female....something must be wrong ! In spite of this, no eggs at present. Two of my hens are 10 years old, though. This may have something to do with it.