We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

hows things?

how is everyone coping with this dreadful weather? Its been pissistantly raining here for days. Buffy and the two silkies have the sense to find shelter but the two white ninjas look like drowned rats all the time and the three newbies dont seem to notice it at all- their one and one interest in life is food.
for the first time in keeping chickens ive had double yolkers - two off a barred rock and one off zelda the leghorn - all the same week. Also for the first time in many years ive got a glut of eggs . I counted 47 on saturday after giving away a dozen on the Wednesday so i made an apple sponge cake , some muffins and fed 8 back to them on Sunday and still have a shelf full. even the neighbours have started saying no thanks
hope everyone is ok - look forward to hearing updates
X Kath

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    My lot are just lazy.....most have decided to stay permanently in the sheep shed (barn). They don't really bother to go out at all if it rains all day.

My egg numbers are low at the moment. 2 hens have hatched chicks, several moulting etc., however, plenty for our use. I currently have 9 chicks (broodies) and another 4 on the incubator (abandoned by broody hen when 'dislodged' by a grumpy old hen)....one has a pip this morning.

You sound overloaded, Kath! When this happens to me I feed some to the dog who loves eggs of all types (including raw). I have never liked feeding eggs to my hens, though they will eat any egg that has been broken during the laying process.

It remains to be seen how many chicks I will end up with AND how many of those will prove to b cockerels. Feather patterning on those I already have nuggets more pullets than cockerels, but a bit early to be certain.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    are they all brahmas or la fleche or naked necks or mixes? I bet youve got some spectacular looking chooks there!
    lucky hens having a barn to shelter in - are there sheep in there too?. ive got a small garden table , only about 2 ft square and 2ft high and buffy and the two silkies squeeze under there when theres a shower, the other 5 stay out and get soaked then come into the consevatory dripping wet and leave muddy footprints and poops everywhere
    x Kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Our June rescues hadn't really seen heavy rain before and went to bed wet on Tuesday. They looked very closely snuggled at bedtime, but unfortunately one then went on to develop sour crop. she also happens to be a poop eater which obviously doesn't help! We seem to be on top of the problem this evening, but we'll see what the morning brings.
    It never rains it pours!
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    never heard of hens poop eating Helen is it a deficiency or has her brain been affected by the conditions in the farm? no wonder shes got sour crop poor thing. how on earth do you stop this behaviour!
    x Kath
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    My chicks are largely Brahmas but a black Naked Neck crept in there....not sure quite how.

I've just noticed my last post has 'nuggets' substituted for suggest......chicken nuggets....eugh! Feather pattern unchanged as yet, but some will start t crow before long knowing my luck. One hen insists on bringing her chicks out of the barn and that's rather worrying as there are buzzards and crows around.

I certainly discourage the chickens from coming in the house due to their many deposits.

The sheep are only in the shed during lambing time, so the chickens have the run of the place at the moment.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Kath - I've not really come across it before, and it's improved no end since she came here. She's a lovely placid hen who lays a good strong egg (yes - we do eat them👌)
    Sourcrop improving but today we've had 61ml rain so far - never known in Norfolk! The hens were sheltering in the greenhouse until it started to flood....then moved in to the 'conservatory' (aka chicken room). Kept her dry until bedtime - phew!