We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

bumblefoot

its been 11 years since ive had to deal with this and i lost 2 beautiful polish due to it spreading to the bones
Pippy limped a bit yesterday so i picked her up and found the dreaded bumblefoot on both feet . only small on one foot but the width of a pea on the other
theres no room in the hospital pen at the moment so shes going to have to stay out , for a while anyway . shes so flighty and active i think shed go stir crazy in there anyway
last time i used iodine , epsom salt soaks, antibiotics and savlon. have there been any miracle cures found since then? anyone tried Tricide Neo powder? can i even buy it in uk ?
wish me luck , ive a horrible feeling im going to need it
x Kath

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Much as I'd like to claim success, I've had very little.The only real success I have had was with a hen where the 'bumble' was quite small. I removed it and irrigated the cavity with hydrogen peroxide, then bound the foot with 'vet bind' I repeated this process over several weeks and the bumble eventually healed and sealed.
    I don't know about the powder you mention.....but if it seems to be very effective, then the internet is a good source for pretty much everything.

Good Luck.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks Sandie
    i googled it and this powder came up to be used as a dip - meant to treat fungus and ulcers on ornamental koi but also used for bumblefoot . trouble is its in america not over here
    im off to the vets with her tomorrow to see if they can help and to get antibiotics. at the moment im just soaking her and applying lots of vetricyn and giving her aspirin - a quarter of a 300 mg tablet to ease some pain . i havent attempted to remove the core yet as its staying pretty solid
    x Kath
    If you think that the powder would help, then buy some from the States (if it's not ridiculously expensive). Also worth seeing if there's a British equivalent.Good luck with the bumble, in any case....nasty condition.
    we went to the vets - she did the egg song in the cat carrier in the waiting room , much to the amusement of the sensible people there who actually had cats in their cat carriers. vet remembered the polish having bumblefoot eleven years ago and looked up the notes and saw all the different things we tried then . she suggested i might go to an exotic vet (yikes the taxi fare alone to get there is £12 each way) who may help better but gave me tylan and cream called isaderm - ive had it for a rash my dog got on his chin from picking up a hedgehog ...a very weepy rash
    shed never heard of ticide neo but had heard of neosporin but couldnt prescibe that either
    Pippy is walking around without limping when i put dressings on her . i soaked her twice yesterday in epsom salts water and the scab is looking lighter but still firmly affixed . im hoping i wont have to cut into it to get the plug out.
    some people on you tube seem to be getting results with vetricyne- the spray i use for buffys prolapse - so between bathing and applying the cream im spraying with this too
    will keep you updated
    xKath

Let's hope that it works.
    thank you Sandie
    its been a week . a week of twicw daily soaking in epsom water then spraying with vetericyn, allowing it to dry then isaderm and bandaging
    i ran low on the cream so bought some prid salve that id seen being used on you tube and have used that since
    went to the vet yesterday and she was really pleased with how they both looked and picked off some of the scab without it bleeding.
    just got to keep going now but cant decide which cream worked so vet suggested i use both
    im getting good at the bandaging . my late fiance had a venous leg ulcer and i used to apply a five bandage method to his leg but i didnt have to tip him upside down to do it ):
    xKath
    my late fiance had a venous leg ulcer and i used to apply a five bandage method to his leg but i didnt have to tip him upside down to do it ):Just as well!

I have used hydrogen peroxide in the past when there's a cavity....nice and cheap, too.

Sandie
    thanks Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Strange, but our local avian vets don't prescribe antibiotics for bumblefoot at all any more.
    We used to make a poultice with iodine and flour and then bandage over. Took two or three weeks though.
    Sadly not heard of a miracle cure yet!
    hi
    i used iodine with sugar on the polish
    theres no swelling at all and the scabs have been removed and theres healthy skin underneath but i reckon theres poison under one as it looks yellowish
    continuing with the epsom salts bath / prid and isaderm and funky bandaging . she doesnt limp at all so i cant think that theres a plug there as there usually is . odd
    btw that isaderm is brilliant - George had a small spot near his eye yesterday and it slowly swelled to the size of a golf ball - isaderm on it and it was gone within an hour . good to know is that it was prescribed for my chicken so will use it in future on them
    x Kath
    Have you managed to work out what is causing the bumbles? We used to have a problem with our big Cuckoo Marans. Took us a while to realise that they were caused from jumping on & off a branch in the garden, rather than the perch in the hut.
    yesHelen - shes a houdini ........ive still got the temporary fencing up used to segregate the bluebelles and rather than go through the gate like everyone else , she goes over the fence ,by jumping on top of it then jumping down . shes also always jumping up on benches, tables etc too and is the one that was 6ft up my apple tree in the beginning
    my main coop is quite high but ive put a chair by the door for them to jump onto to get out and ive had no problems with any others using it even the mighty Lillybeth and Sally soiux
    shes my current problem child !
    x Kath
    jinxed myself calling her a problem child this morning ......went out to get egg and couldnt find her anywhere , checked the 3 coops , both runs , under the fruit bushes , next door ....couldnt find her anywhere and not a sound from her, then i spotted her -hanging by her leg from my buddlea bush -wedged in the stem . Luckily shes not cut herself or broken anything but a small scratch and a big bruise on her leg
    so now Pippy Longstocking is living up to her name - her bandages go up past her shin on her right leg
    limped a bit but after stuffing her face is now resting - on a breeze block , nice and comfy , not.
    i wont give her aspirin as shes bruised but will give her a dose of metacam tonight when im changing her bandages
    oh , and all this happened whilst i was on the phone arranging to buy 3 hens -coming tomorrow - a leghorn and 2 barred rocks ....intended to just get 2 but 3 is close enough!
    Kath x
    Your birds are accident prone, Kath (Who is talking?....so are mine). Hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

Glad to hear that you have some more hens coming.

I'm currently allowing one of my hens to sit. She's a newbie, so I'm not sure if anything will hatch. Daughter's conures have 4 babies. She's away on holiday and is paying for a carer to go in daily to attend to them. I hope they are OK.
    good luck with the hatching, hope theyre all born with little pink booties for you
    It's not really funny but I couldn't help smiling at the mental picture that conjured up! Was she hanging upside down, or just a bit off the ground? So lucky that you realised that she was missing so soon.
    just a bit off the ground thankfully - there are several stems all twisted and she got wedged between two by her leg - she had tried to get out but ended up upside down
    i put arnica cream on her and the big green/ black bruise has already gone completely . she is , as we speak gripping on to the top of a wire cage which i have around my beans - its not ridgid so shes swaying back and fore and having to grip tightly - stealing my runner bean leaves ......on a positive note this proves that her bumbles and graze cant be hurting her at the mo
    x Kath
    Good news on your wayward hen, Kath.Sounds as though she is very much on the mend. Runner bean leaves are really popular with sheep, too.....they'll demolish the whole plant in a matter of seconds.

The baby conures are feathering up nicely and one is already adult weight! (4g to 75g in just 3 weeks...what a growth rate!

Have you got your new hens yet?

thanks Sandie . took her back to the vets for her arranged check up yesterday . saw a different vet but she said theyre looking good and to just continue with the bathing etc for a few weeks but suggested i can stop the tylan in the next few days
    im still baffled - the tell tale scabs have gone but new pale scabs are there which look a bit yellowish to me on one foot but vet reckons theyre fine . i havent had any pus out of her at all and theres been no swelling so not your typical bumblefoot unless the creams ive been using have penetrated and killed the bacteria without breaking the skin . i cant think that theres a plug of pus there or she wouldnt be able to grip tightly to the wire fencing
    dont understand it but feeling really lucky
    another update - Buffy has been laying soft shells since her myco episode and she had a pretty persistant prolapse 2 weeks ago but is fine now and pooping normally and shes stopped laying and gone into moult -yay!
    the prolapse was down to her poo again and not an egg but thats settled now too
    yes ive got the 3 newbies - Zelda a VERY flighty leghorn and Ziggy and Jasmine the barred rocks . they eat from my hand through the wire but dont feel safe when im in with them . seem to be settling well and dont see any aggression amonst them . Pippy doesnt half swear at them though when she can see them eating something thats blatantly obviously better than what ive given her !
    x Kath
    Very interesting names Kath! How many in your flock now?
    hi
    ive got 8 now . a nice number for my garden - the 12 i had before was a bit much even though most were bantams.
    Zelda is the heroine from one of rachels favourite games and Jasmine went along with the princess theme so Rachel named those two and i liked Ziggy because her markings are all over the place ...theres also ziggy stardust
    Jasmine was frolicking in the run this morning , something i havent seen since Georgies chicks used to do it . either shes still young or shes very happy there.
    they managed to escape into the garden yesterday but found their way back quickly when George ran down the path . Both Pippy and Ester flew in to their pen despite the fencing several times just to make sure the newbies treats and food wasnt any better than theirs and also Ester needed to teach them that when Ester is eating noone goes near her even if theres 3 of you coming at all directions and youre twice her size. No aggression returned by the newbies which is a relief to note
    x kath