We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

prolapse again

Buffy has beenfor days , even laid 2 eggs a few days ago but yesterday out of the blue prolapsed again ... yet again though it seems to be her poo causing it - the bulge consisted of poo encased in tissue that had foldedback on itself . i gently squeezed all the poo out and the prolapse stayed in easily . 24 hours later shes laid a soft shell and no sign of a prolapse 
any thoughts oh ye of great knowledge?

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Here's hoping Ye will answer as it's not a topic on which I have much knowledge at all.Would placing a little lubricant (like olive oil) around the vent on a daily basis help? Alternatively could the vet reduce the size of the vent just a little bit with a stitch? 
    I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but seems worth trying.

Sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks Sandie
    sghe seems fine again now but did have another soft shell . no more prolapsing though . very odd how she can lay a soft shell without prolapsing yet it happens on her in between days when she poos
    i think if the vet stitched her id be afraid the poo would get trapped inside. im giving her a calcium supplement in the hope of getting the shells back to normal but no joy yet
    x kath

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    I see we still have no answer from ye!

I would try dosing her with liquid paraffin every few days to loosen the poop.  Otherwise - she must have a physical 'difference' inside (I hesitate to use the word deformity, because all hens are perfect as we know)!!
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    i think youre right Helen . the poo isnt hard or even dry , just getting stuck in folds but not happening every day
     today is her laying day so im waiting to see what type of egg she lays
    x kath