We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

FLUID IN LUNGS, young Jersey Giant pullet

I bought some Jersey chicks a few months ago and they have been doing fine with our other babies. But while I was out in the yard today I heard what you never what to hear from a chicken, screaming. I looked over and she was being swung by her head. You would think that the assailant would be a dog, but they know better than to touch the chickens. You kill a chicken you get beat with a dead one. But to my horror, the one who actually picked her up was our 8 month old Jersey Heifer, who grabbed her, and was shaking her like she was trying to break off a tree branch. I got her to drop the chicken when I ran up to her, but when I checked the pullet, she sounded like she was gargling. I felt her neck, and it didn't fell broken except a small bump. She still seems to have full mobility of it and tried to eat, but is there anything I can do to help her? She is already separated from the flock.

Comments

• I'm mostly worried about her developing Pneumonia or Something
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi
    first time ive ever heard of a calf attacking a chicken!
    is she still gurgling or was it just when it first happened?
     i would get that lump seen by a vet if it was one of mine - chickens have more bones in their necks than giraffes . also a course of tylan if shes still gurgling,
    is she managing to eat now? if not try her on sugar or honey water to keep her strength up
     i hope she makes it x Kath
  • Now it's less of a gurgle, but occasionally when she breathes it sounds like she's purring. Like a cat, not a normal sort of chicken growl. She is eating now, we mostly feed cracked corn for the chickens, but we also have sweet feed I gave to her that they get on occasion. I'll give her a round of Tylan and see if it helps her. Thank you so much!
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Gosh....weird for a calf to 'have a go'. She may have aspirated stuff into her lungs from the crop during the attack, so antibiotics are a good choice. Hopefully she'll make a good recovery.

Lambs regularly chase chickens in play. A ewe of mine also isn't keen on them and she'll head butt, but though she's quick, the chickens are faster.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    If the air sacs were damaged, they can repair themselves very quickly, so it might have been that.  
    Usually I would expect a hen to die of the shock from something like that, so it sounds like she had a lucky escape, especially as she is eating now.