We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hen acting funny

I wrote earlier about my hen but not sure it went through so I'm wring again. Found hen slowly walking past gate to barn in a cold rainstorm. She seemed disoriented. When I pulled her trough I noticed that her eyes were both shut. I wrapped her in a towel and put her in an isolation pen I had built. This was 2 days ago. I checked on her this morning and she slightly opened one eye and closed it. She seems alert and wanting out but still cant open eyes. There is no discharge out of eyes or nose. Husband said she was acting weird all day. I put a drop of Vet RX in both nostrils yesterday. Can anyone advise. This is one of our hens that we have never been able to touch cause she is too wild. She may be 7 yrs.

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi
    sorry to hear the hen is poorly
     is she showing any other symptoms such as coughing or sneezing ? whats her poo like ? her appetite and her crop ? if no other symptoms then has she maybe had a bump to the head?
     hens usually close their eyes if they are in pain . she needs metacam - avaiable from a vet
    if it was one of mine id suspect a resp infection - many of them affect the eyes. if so she will need antibiotics
     i hope you can sort her out , 7 is a good age
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    I would make sure she is kept as warm as possible, which might mean bringing her indoors in a cat carrier or similar.  Heat can transform a shocked or poorly bird.  Check for the things that Kath has pointed out too.

I had a similar experience when I had an older hen who had narrowly escaped a fox attack. She also stayed off her legs for a couple of days.  After that she was fine so we put it down to shock.  Your hen may have been in shock after getting wet and cold.

Let us know how you get on.