We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Mad Rooster Help!

Bill GordonBill Gordon Junior Member
edited January 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Howdy, My wife and I started raising chickens this year for eggs. Our wonderful 4 month old Cockeral? "William" has become violent, he's tried to flog my wife and I, so the question is, Is there any way to make him stop or how do we continue with caring for the hens/pullets if he continues? If we try to fight him he gets worse!!. If any one knows a trick please let us in on it! We would really appreciate some help, other wise I think the only solution is the frying pan?

Comments

• clucksclucks Junior Member
    edited August 2007
    He is only trying to defend his territory and flock! The more you "fight" him the more he sees you as a threat everytime you enter his domain. It may be too late to change his ways but the main thing is to admit defeat and turn away from him, as if you are a submissive rooster!
    Do not confront or taunt him once you are in his range. I know it is difficult but give him a chance to see if this works. Young roosters can be the worst, trying their skills and settle down if they know they can chase you away, as they get older. If you have to get rid of him and start with a new rooster, just ignore his posturing when he matures, move away when he comes at you at first-then he thinks he has beaten you:)
    Unless you intend breeding from your hens, do you really need to keep a rooster?
  • CountryGirl123321CountryGirl123321 Junior Member
    edited September 2007
    I know this may seem a little dumb-but hey!I am not even in highschool yet!Anyways--you could try and earn the roo's trust. I tried this with a rooster who was very skittish-it may not work with your roo-but it worked with mine and it could work with yours-

Try giving it tidbits such as
    -scrambled/hard boiled eggs
    -Bread
    -Pita shells(my chickens especially loved those
    -and whatever you think they might like, Try with a variety of things, find out what they like the most, and I hope it all works out!!!
  • JesseJesse Senior Member
    edited September 2007
    I know what she said is kinda wierd but, it dose work. I have a rooster and he is so attachhed to me when i go out side he will come walking right up to me. But it may take a while but it dose work over time.
  • Heather07Heather07 Senior Member
    edited October 2007
    I Noticed How Jesse Said That Her Rooster Is Tame And Attached To Her And Follows Her Around...How Old Is He Jesse?
    How Old Was Your William When You Had Him Bill?

I'm Hoping My Rooster Rocky Won't Turn On Me Right Now He Is Really Tame And Attached He Loves Coming In The House And Lying Infront Of The Fire. I Hope He Dont Turn On Me... :confused:
  • chickenladykchickenladyk Member
    edited January 2008
    Hello, Bill,

I agree with those who are telling you that your rooster is just doing his job of trying to protect his flock from anything he sees as a potential danger to them. A good rooster takes his job very seriously. He stays alert and will sound the alarm to his hens if he perceives any kind of potential predator. And he'll defend them to the end, and give his life for his flock, if need be. So it sounds as if you have a good rooster in William.

Actually, William is not being "aggressive", really--he's being "defensive"--he's defending his flock. If you "fight" back, he'll see you as a real threat, rather than a potential threat, and he'll become even more vigilant in protecting his hens from you. It's hard not to take the "attacks" personally, I know. Just know that William's nature is to NOT give the benefit of the doubt--because that could be fatal to one of his "girls"...

We have five roosters who were raised with our hens. I can confirm that roosters can be very tame and well behaved, even affectionate, when they trust you and see you as an ally to their flock, rather than as a threat.

It may take you some time, and a great deal of patience, to earn William's trust now, but I'm sure it can be done. We have succeeded with a 6-year-old "wild" rooster, who was neglected and abused in his former home. At first, he would run and hide if he saw a human. After some months, he stopped doing that, and became more curious. We began putting food out for him, and eventually he began to look forward to our coming.

It took us about nine months, a ton of patience, and 100% consistent kind and non-threatening treatment of him. But now this rooster actually seeks us out, follows us around the garden, will willingly jump up on our laps, if we ask him to, and is downright affectionate to us. He's one of our favorites now. We feel good about that, because we had to work so hard to earn his trust. So it can be done.

One other point: In addition to being unfailingly kind to William, it will be very important that you never upset one of William's hens, either. For example, if we pick up one of our hens and she squawks or flaps her wings, our roosters will run right over to be sure we're not hurting or harming her. Since we also have our hens' trust, these "upsets" when being picked up are usually exceedingly brief--and usually our fault, for picking her up clumsily, resulting in her feeling like she isn't "secure" in our hands or arms and might fall or something.

Roosters can be a huge asset to those of us with chickens. They are wonderful protectors of our hens. And hens are happiest (and therefore healthiest) with a rooster as their leader and protector. As a matter of fact, the lack of a rooster can sometimes result in a hen who begins to take on the role of the rooster. In an effort to fill the void, the poor thing will increase her testosterone production, begin mounting the other hens, and sometimes even begin a kind of crowing.

I hope you'll find some little tidbit of helpful information in this, Bill, and that you will be inspired to take those small steps now in helping William see you as his ally, rather than a threat. I think you'll feel as well rewarded with your success as we have felt. Roosters can be very striking, flashy, even. Our roosters are among the most affectionate members of our flock, and we feel honored that we have earned their trust. We have not had to trim spurs, etc.

Just remember to give him time--lots of time--and to proceed in small steps: Just like with humans, it doesn't take much for our trust in someone to be destroyed and, once that destroyed, it can take a very long time, and a lot of positive experiences, for it to be rebuilt.

Here's a website that might be helpful to you: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Cocks-1.html

Good luck!