We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Swollen Head

Hey everyone... 
One of my hens has an extremely swollen head.  We found her like that yesterday and it has only gotten worse. i've put triple antibiotic ointment on it, but didn't do anything.. I have no idea what to do, i'm afraid her brain is gonna pop if it gets worse. 
Anyone know what I need to do?  Thank you

Here are a few pictures - 

Animal Guardian

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi Animal Guardian.

This sounds very much like Mycoplasma ( a respiratory disease).  You need a specific antibiotic for this.  Here we use Tylan or similar but you will need to see your local farm vet for the correct meds where you live.  If you act quickly she might recover, but don't delay.

Let us know how it goes, and here's a link from this site too:

• I do not have a poultry vet where i live.  Could i possibly ask my vet for the antibiotic and give the correct dosage.  what would be the correct dosage of Tylan?  She weighs around 2lbs. 

Thank you so much! 
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    hi there
    if i remember correctly tylan is only available through a vet in usa
    you may have some luck with tetracycline which i think you can get without a prescription - dosage will rely on weight of the bird so check with the supplier
    i used tylan injections when my lot had mycoplasma but the 2 worst cases i kept indoors and put a bowl of boiling water with a clove of garlic near the cage to clear their airways .i also added garlic to their drinking water
    i also sprayed Georgies eye with colloidal silver when it was at its worst
     hope none of the others get it as its very contagious
     good luck
    xxkath
    Sorry I haven't been able to get back on the site to check you, so I hope that you've sorted it out by now.

Otherwise, the dosage is 1 gramme of Tylan (usually comes as a yellow powder) to 1 litre of water, given to your flock for at least 7 - 10 days.

As Kath says - it is highly contagious so it's prudent to treat the whole flock, and isolate any obvious cases.

• Animal GuardianAnimal Guardian Junior Member
    Thank you all so much!

Update: My hen has recovered from the respiratory infection and is doing well. Ive been lucky and none of my other hens have caught it.  
    Animal Guardian  
    thats great news , thanks for up dating us - you did a marvelous job
     xx kath .
    Yay!
    Hello Again!! evidently my hen ain't all the way better. her head is still just the slightest bit swollen. what should i do? is there a different antibiotic i could possibly get? I went longer then five days with one shot a day. its still the same. 
    Is it just a slight swelling? has it gone down at all?
     . the thing is that chicken pus tends to solidify really quickly so it will take a while to go completely as its now a hard lump . keep an eye on her and repeat the abs if it starts swelling again
     xx kath
    Yes, just slightly swollen. I'll watch it to make sure it doesn't swell up like last time.  Thank you!!!
    Animal Guardian 
    yes it could remain slightly swollen for weeks yet . so just keep an eye on her
    x kath