We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

welsh hens to stay locked up

Whilst many parts of England will soon be able to let their hens out , the welsh birds have to stay locked up until the end of APRIL
http://www.tivysideadvertiser.co.uk/news/15089634.Bird_flu_emergency_measures_extended_to_end_of_April/
Funny thing is that theres been no findings in Wales for weeks but they seem to be increasing in England
 my poor girls have got to the stasge now that theyll be too wary to come out in April ...its already started with some refusing to step across to the greenhouse even.
i managed to startr an extension for the Bluebelles run but havent been too well last few days to finish it ...by the time i do itll be time to take it down again :(
How are you all coping ?
xx kath

Comments

• BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Hi Kath
    We thought our area was bad enough having to supervise our girls when they come out but at least they can start to come out after 28th even though we'll have to keep watch over them.  I'm not sure how keeping watch will help the situation. 
    Sorry to hear that you aren't well. That must make life even harder. Poor you. xx

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Hi Bonnie
     really lovely to see you on here ...amongst the tumbleweed :-S... im getting so lonely on here - Was it something i said ?
    apparantly the lock down isnt entirely compulsory , we have a choice ....
    1- keep indoors
    2 keep undercover
    3 allow out but step up biosecurity and supervise
    ........................so im off to e bay to find face masks thatll fit the chooks and one of those anti pigeon rattles and a scarecrow outfit so i can let them out in March , when theres no wild birds in the sky ...................
     whats confusing me more than defra is the fact that in total only 38 wild birds have been found to have A.I. since November yet thousands of egg and poultry farm fowl have caught it ?????????????????????????????????
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/591265/ai-findings-1617.csv/preview

8-| kathx
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    I too have battled my way past the tumbleweed to say Hi!

I've been having problems actually loading the site lately - don't know about anyone else?  This is the first time I've managed to get here in about two weeks.

And as for DEFRA - as I've said before - totally flawed logic.
    If you ask me, AI is here to stay so we should just be allowed to make our own decisions, because come next winter (especially if the weather is cold) the same old thing is going to happen again.  It should be our choice if we want to let our birds out, after all it is not compulsory to immunise your cat against cat flu etc etc, it is up to us if we want to take the risk.

edited February 2017
    Dont be silly Helen, its got nothing to do with our thoughts and wishes but to do with the poultry industry losing money ...heaven forbid they lose 20p per dozen on eggs because the hens are in protection ...yet again putting money first before the hens welfare
     we are just scapegoats ...despite only 2 backyard flocks in the whole country catching flu compared to how many industrial sites  and like i said only 38 sightings in wild birds , politicians are still going on about backyard keepers being a big risk ...if the industry took proper precautions they wouldnt have to worry about us
     when we look at our chickens we see living  feeling, beings , when they look at a chicken they just see £££££
    nice to see you on here Helen  :))
    rant over and out
     xx kath

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    I wondered where my soapbox had gone! :-j
    edited February 2017
    mine have to stay in unless i can figure a way to keep wild birds out of
    my garden ....any ideas ? could built a cattery i spose :)
    my next door neighbour throws bread on his shed roof and it attracts gulls here so im not taking any chances just yet.
    are yours in or out?
    theres a joke there somewhere about brexit but i cant think of it ...over to you Helen
    xx Kathxx