We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Treating sick birds during bird flu alert

undautriundautri Senior Member
edited January 2017 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Found out today and thought id pass it on ...its NOT against the law to take your sick chooks to the vet during this A.I. scare. Still best to phone before your visit though to make sure a vet is willing to see you .
 Xena was off colour this morning ...couldnt quite work out why but suspected egg issues as ive had a few wind eggs in the bluebelles coop recently
 i phoned and vet was very willing for me to take her to the surgery - did a thorough exam and called the main vet in for second opinion but neither could see anything physically wrong and ruled out egg problems -suggested just a tummy upset of sorts so shes on abs and electrolytes for a day or two
 solved a problem for a few days as shes indoors which means the other 2 have a bit more room in lockdown .
 xx kath

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Xena is much better so i thought id put her in the run for a while ....pleased to discover that the bluebelles dont just pick on others due to their size but horrified that she didnt get a very friendly welcome after only being gone 2 days ................. theyre worse than cockerels
    shes back in for the night as ive still got to give her meds for a day or two
    xx Kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Bluebelle Chasseur anyone?  :-?
    id probably choke on them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     one thing i must admit though is she was a really good patient- being calm and settled in the hospital pen ....taking her medicine  ............................until today when she remembered that even being touched by me is a big no no in her books - SHES BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kath
    Last year we caught a feral kitten (for neutering) who was virtually living as one of our hen flock. Over the months he has become tame enough to stroke, apply wormer etc, and now loves to sleep indoors on a cold night. 

Yesterday I took him to the vet due to a persistent tooth issue (vet duly warned by email in advance).  Vet got a look at him but then he wriggled free and literally climbed the walls of the consultation room, knocking over meds, treatments etc X_X

Vet was very good and got him back into the pet carrier virtually single handed, but that left me holding the antibiotic jab which I volunteered to give him once back home!  

Not sure how we're going to plan the follow up.....
    lol
     our cat had to have a tooth out last year . we always had cats
    in the family growing up and dont remember them having tooth problems -
    im sure its the modern food . trouble is i changed her to dry food and
    it made her constipated so shes back on a mix now.
     hope your pussys tooth settles down for him
    x kathxx
    So do I - otherwise he may have to have a tooth extraction too!  Bet that hurts the wallet  :-?
    yep but worth it in the long run
     luckily we dont have this problem with the chickens ....imagine if they had teeth :D
    x kath