We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

New case of bird flu discovered in backyard in Southwest Wales :-(

Oh no! Not more AND in someone's backyard :-(

Poor chickens and the poor owner having their flock culled, so sad :-(

My girls are going stir crazy locked up and covered in a run but at least they are safe - fingers crossed.

How is everyone else getting on?  3 days to go or will they extend the 30 days..................

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Bonnie, haven't you heard - they've extended the 'Prevention Zone' to 28th Feb!!

I'm not entirely sure what they mean by the term 'Prevention Zone' though.

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Helen i see it as being an area or time when poultry are prevented to go anywhere where they can come into contact with wild birds..........
    i couldnt sleep last night trying to think what i can do to relieve my chooks boredom and still keep them safe ...only thing i could come up with for today was to put them in the greenhouse for an hour
    i thought about getting a fruit cage to extend the run for the bluebelles or even an area coming off theit doorway covered with tarp
    ive got a really old 6 berth tent in my attic ...could use the frame to make a temporary run so they can at least have some rec time like prisoners get ...id still have to rotate them though as the bluebelles are still category A prisoners prone to aggression.
    what kept me awake the longest though was thinking about a temporary spare run by my raspberry
    canes which could later be used as a broody pen for Sallysioux
    this year so i can eventually get back to having a cockerel ....by the
    time id dropped off id named him as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    better work out how much wood i need ..............
    xx kath
    what ideas have you all come up with ?
    Kath, it must be a particular worry for you, being so close to the affected areas.  Do you happen to know if the hens in the last case were being kept undercover?  

I'm also wondering - are you considering making your 'prisoners' nice orange jumpsuits?  You'll have to have a rethink about names too, like Sally 'scarface' sioux, 'basher' bluebelle etc...

I think the tent idea is great, and will keep the dustbath nice and dry.  
    There are also some good plastic polytunnels for about £75 online.

Of course one could always put up the marquee on the croquet lawn if the worst comes to the worst.....
    yes a big worry Helen but the latest report is actually further away than the wetlands report ...llanelli is about 5/6 miles whilst the pontyberem one is 26
    in the cold light of daty i had second thoughts about the tent - one strong wind could send it crashing into my greehouse
    polytunnels too expensive and although you can get gazebos for under £40 on Amazon they arent strong enough for winter weather
    i have ordered more wire though - enough to make a temporary run and ive got tarp or netting  to go over it ....i can always find things to do with wire (and pieces of string thanks to great great grandpappy) when the ban is lifted
    i dont know if the birds in pontyberem were housed or not but they had found wild birds there earlier showing symptoms and the chooks and ducks were looking very poorly so the decision to cull was made before they even confirmed A.I.
    from what ive read it seems to be waterfowl that are catching it easier than chickens so i hope that means my lot will be safer as they dont know any ducks
    how are you managing with yours ? if this is going to be a recurring thing every winter ill have to build a shed to house them or rent a garage to park them for the winter 
    xx Kath
    Fortunately I can keep all of mine together in reasonable harmony, and I'm down to an all time low of 6 hens now.  How many do you have now Kath?
    very sad to see that BHWT cannot rescue any hens at the moment
    ive got 10 at the mo - 5 chickens and 5 bantams . Sally sioux and Lillybeth are in with the banties in the big run but im afraid the bluebelles havent got a very big indoor run - just 6ftx 10ft so they are the ones im most concerned about really so planning to set up a temporary extention to their run with a cover of course .
    x kath
    where is everyone else - so quiet on here ?
    Maybe no-one wants to admit to having any birds :-SS
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Had to laugh this morning......girls woken up and put in their temporary covered run. Went out to see them before I went to work, with a little cap of mealworms as a treat. Cookie was VERY excited, opened the door to the covered run, she pecked a few times at the mealworms, body swerved me and ran past me in the open into their house. She wasn't excited about the mealworms, she wanted to lay an egg in their normal nestbox :-) Guess the temporary cardboard box with straw in their temporary run isn't as luxurious ;-) ......so, had to wait until she had laid her egg before I could leave for work as had to pop her back into temporary run. Don't ya just luv 'em :-)
    a cardboard box with straw ...how very beneath them :)
    did your boss believe your excuse for being late????????????????? its as good as a dog eating your homework .
    i once had a little polish called Tulip who never laid in the nest box but insisted that the only possible place she could lay was in the cats basket in my kitchen ...she too would dart out as soon as the door was open to get to the kitchen
    xx kath

:))
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Kath, I managed to scrape in with a couple of minutes to spare so I didn't have to tell myself off ;-)
    Tulip, lovely name and sounds cute too.  Hope the cat wasn't in its basket whilst Tulip was laying  :D
    xxx
    she was ultra cute Bonnie and she got on well with the cat as they were chick and kitten growing up together ....unlike the big bully beef bluebelles who are petrified of the cat
    keep safe
     xxkath