We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

RIP Mabel

So, on a normal morning crop check as the girls came out of their house one morning 6 days ago I found that Mabel still had a little crop. She was fine, chirpy and alert so I gave her crop a massage to break it down and off she went to have her breakfast with our 3 other girls.
Day 4 and 5 we kept her indoors overnight to see how she was progressing and what she was pooping.  Although her crop was working it was very slow.  Her poops were good but sadly she was loosing weight and not eating much so yesterday as she was starting to sleep more and more, before she got really ill we popped her to our friendly vet .........and returned home empty handed.  She had crop statis and suspected cancer.
It never gets any easier to say goodbye but the decision to let them go before they are really ill gets easier.  
Enjoy the hen party Mabel.  You were loved and will be missed so very much.   RIP XXX

Here she is looking very proud :-)

2016.03.13 Mabel

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about Mabel Bonnie.  I agree with your vet that tumours are often the cause of this, having seen it many times with my own exbats.

You are so good to make sure she was seen by the vet before the Christmas break, and brave to do the right thing for her.  It does indeed get easier to make that decision, but never easy to actually deal with.  I believe that's the sign of a good person Bonnie.

Hx

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi bonnie
    so sorry to hear about mabel
    she really does look proud in the pic -had she just told the other two off or you?
    RIPMabel xxxx
    kath
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Thank you Helen. It's so quiet out there without Mabel :-(   She always shouted when someone went out of the kitchen door :-)
    Yes, bank holidays are always a worry, especially when our fabulous vet is on holiday! He is such a treasure and so good with our girls.  When we move - eventually- we will really miss him but on a plus side we will be nearer BHWT.

Thank you Kath.  She had probably told us off for not bringing her a treat ;-)
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    Bless little Mabel...she so reminds me of my Nuggett who also died of cancer when I did the pm...she was the only exbatt I felt the need to end her life - she never feathered up and was miserable at the end, just eating flowers and looking at me as if to give me permission... (although all through her life was a character sounding like she smoked 80 Camels a day!!....eek!!) - I think you made the right decision to take her to the vet X_X

She'll have sorted that Christmas party and met up with Nuggett for sure!! M
    ~:>
    Marie I hope she, Nuggett and all the girls had a fab Christmas party ~:> ~:> ~:> ~:> ~:> ~:> 3:-O
    hmmmm how did that cow get into the party? Looks like a gate crasher ;-)