We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Any views on today's avian flu warning...?

I only heard headlines but apparently warnings to keep your poultry inside for the next month...only spotted in a few European countries at the mo - nothing here yet...personally I think that if I kept mine in the coop for a month they'd kill each other anyway (and as the coop is well ventilated, avian flu is not going to be kept out)...and they are certainly not moving into the house - they'd never leave!!

I do hope it doesn't become really serious ~:> M

Comments

• BonnieBonnie Senior Member

So, here we all are worry, worry. But as BHWT say, the action taken by Defra is a precautionary measure only, and
    the UK remains free from Avian Flu (AI).  They go on to say .......

However, as backyard hen keepers it is vital that we play our part in
    minimising the risk of an outbreak by taking sensible steps to safeguard our
    hens, here are some tips and links which may help you:

• Keep your hens inside if
      possible, if not try to keep them separate from wild birds as much as
      possible
    • Make sure your hens’ feed and
      water cannot be accessed by wild birds, keep it in the hen house where
      possible
    • Take extra steps to keep your
      coop clean including disinfecting all bird houses on a regular basis
    • Restrict movement of your birds
      to within their run for the next 30 days
    • Keep a close eye on your hens
      for any signs of illness and seek advice from a vet should you spot
      anything unusual
    Stay well and stay safe x

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks for posting that girls
    how is everyone coping ?
    my lot don't like being in the run all day but thankfully the days are short this time of year anyway
    the bluebells have all  decided to moult so their run is going to be full of feathers !
    keep safe everyone
     xkath

Our wild birds are not happy. We are keeping our girls feeders and water inside their house so the wild birds can't get to them. We have really noticed a difference in that we only really see the robin and blackbird hanging around.  We should save a lot of money on feed!  We have a covered run on order as a temporary measure.  Thinking that we can use it for broody chicks, chickens that are ill in the future etc. etc......
    How is everyone getting on?
    more worry today - a dead duck has been found near the wetlands sanctuary ...proved positive for ai. They have closed the cetre from today
    the wetlands centre is in Llanelli , just 5 miles from me and has thousands of wild birds wintering there from europe
    YIKES
    Kath

Oh no Kath. I hope your girls will be okay.  I thought the infected flock in Lincolnshire was too close for comfort. Stay safe.
    We have now had our covered run up and in working order for just over a week, The girls hate being enclosed!
    thanks Bonnie
    im really worried but on the plus side its not airborne so my chooks will only be at risk if they come in close contact with an infected bird or eat or drink something contaminated by one at the moment but things could get scarier after Christmas if theres more cases found
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu#latest-situation

If you want to follow the official up to date news try the above link.
  • thanks for posting
    how confusing .....my chooks have been locked up in their runs since dec 6th by order of defra to stop them coming into contact with wild birds but .......after finding a widgeon who died of avian influenza just 9 days ago the wetlands centre in Llanelli  have announced they are again open to the public ...because all their birds look fit and healthy  ??????????????
    kath x
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Once again - one rule for them and another for our pets.  It's utter madness if you ask me @-)