We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

goodbye Georgie

undautriundautri Senior Member
edited November 2016 in Poultry Health and Welfare
ive been dreading this day ................
 her wing has been a bit droopy since the attack and although she seemed to be getting better yesterday -eating, drinking and spending some time in the greenhouse with Sally and Gracie - she started gasping for air again in the night and passed away early hours this morning
 i should be angry with the bluebelles but instead blame myself for saying yes to them. Krull passed away the day they arrived and i know now that ill never be able to let them loose with the little ones
i make no secret of the fact Georgie has always been my favourite , even when she was being a diva and boy could she be a diva !, after all , ive had her almost 9 years and she was the first chook i ever hatched.
saying goodbye to a chook has never been so hard - she was one of a kind
xx kath

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Oh Kath, I'm SO sorry. It's a day we all dread, but inevitably must come.

She couldn't have had a more attentive 'mum'....from the acceptance of all her little 'quirks' to the abundance of grapes that were always ready for her.

9 is a good 'innings' for most chickens, courtesy of your TLC.My Mrs Grey is 9 and also  hatched here, but  she is looking fit right now (and laid a few eggs across the summer).

Gordon would have SO liked to have met her.....but he's an old man of nearly 8 now.

I hope that you have her in your garden for all time. 

Sandie

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Kath - how awful for you to see Georgie go this way.  You've been trying so hard to save her.

You were so kind to take on those Bluebelles, but you must feel like putting them in the pot at the moment.

Thinking of you Kath.

Hx

• doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    Legends generally go in tragic circumstances...that's what makes them immortal! I feel like I've lost my own chicken so god knows how you feel...I loved Georgie stories!...there is always a favourite that you will never get over (Kiev was my first loss and favourite still!)

The way you talk about your Bluebelles is is exactly why I'm wary of taking on more rescues...I feel my Galinda would act the same...I wonder if, at 9, Georgie had some other underlying issue? - as such a character, not one for taking stuff lying down to say the least! A diva at her best...I remember we had some banter quite a while back on the forum likening her to the Dowager Countess in Downton Abbey...a real Maggie Smith in the making...bless her!

Hen Heaven has huge grapes whenever you want them and a vacancy for a short, feathery-footed sergeant major (I loved that picture!!!)...RIP Georgie - go create havoc!
    ~:> M
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thank you so much girls for your kind words and thoughts
    the garden just isnt the same without her
    just for you marie -
    untitled 2
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    There's not many things that make me laugh and cry at the same time...ta Kath!! Mx
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Oh Kath, poor little Georgie. It is never easy saying goodbye to our girls, especially when they have been with you for so long. 9 - what a great age.

I'm sad that your Bluebelles are aggressive.  My first hen was a Bluebelle and she was sweet natured, apart from with our cat.  Perhaps they aren't good in flocks.

RIP Georgie.  Enjoy the Hennie party xxxx
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    aw thanks Bonnie
     its so odd out the garden now- much quieter and strangely the hens have stopped coming into the conservatory looking for grapes - goes to show how much influence she had over them
     i cant fathom the Bluebelles out - really aggressive even after all this time (8 months)with just a wire fence to separate them but its a different story when Sally sioux is about ...theyre very timid with her .
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    What you need is a cockerel  ;) >:) ;)